SancTuarY's Own SWGEMU Server

JerokTalram

If SancTuarY had it's own server, I would...  

27 members have voted

1. 1. If SancTuarY had it's own server, I would...

• what? who cares
    • might login to try it
    • play regularly
    • Volunteer to be a CSR
    • Volunteer to be a GM
    • Volunteer to be Part of the Development team
    • Donate to the Cause

Clicky

14939[/snapback]

Why is it every time I go to click on a forum message at SOE the topic as been deleted? is there something SOE doesn't want you to know? :blink:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it was foolish of me to post the link on the SOE forum, since SWGEmu can actually take away LOTS of SOE's customers :mellow:

14952[/snapback]

Um...Yeah?!

That doesn't sound like a very handy thing, however I like the idea of "going back in time".

I guess you don't happen to have JTL loaded on that thing, eh? :blink:

As long as you have patches upto 13, you can play. The SWGEmu is just after JTL, but before the NGE/CU. So the best of both worlds!

Oh, and if there's a bug we'll try hard to work around it from the server standpoint instead of the client. We can't change the client (against SOE's policy), but there's nothing to stop them from stopping you from playing on a free server. They may lose money, but it's because they fouled up a perfectly good piece of game...not because folks don't wanna pay. And it will be for a product that is pre-CU...the way most veterans prefer it.

I am trying to get revision 186 working...so if I get it up and running, you guys will be the first to get a link to the needed items to play.

Right now here's what you can do:

-Chat

-Run around and not worry about mobs

-Change items

They are working on the skills, combat, and crafting aspect of things. I might be able to bash together a mob database, but we'll see...

:woot:

News links:

SWGalaxies.net

SWG Emu Forums

Edited by Zhiv

Eh...got rev 187 up and running...tho I can't figure out for the life of me what was changed...

Hopefully they will have a major update soon...

A SancT SWGEMU server would be a bad idea. You play an MMO because of the community. Even with the best case scenario, everyone who is or ever was in SancT playing, the server would still be barren. Let us not forget that it is also impossible to advance a character and get him/her decent equipment w/o thousands of other players around doing their thing. The economy is entirely player driven, and every class depends on multiple other classes.

For example, think about going in game w/ maybe 100 other people and trying to master architect and build decent harvesters. It would be hell trying to sample enough resources to build a crappy harvester or two, then months trying to get enough resources to grind out architect. Or even trying to master a combat profession would be incredibly hard using cdef and other basic equipment. You would get to a point where it is almost impossible to level any higher until better equpiment became available.

An SWGEMU server simply cannot work unless you get enough people to adequately populate a server. Even then, those running the server would probably not be able to maintain order w/ the masses demanding nerfs to other professions and getting upset about any changes to their own profession. You can't please everyone, and if someone didn't get what they want they would probably just leave. When enough people leave, the server will have to be shut down.

While the idea of bringing back old school SWG seems nice, it's just a pipe dream. It's simply not feasible.

True, but we could use an EMU server for the purpose of perhaps training. Or even just give people another option. I don't think it would be a Sanct only server, but more of a means to play the game the way it was for everyone pre CU. And it would be free to play. And if people felt like contributing, then we'd have a paypal link on a webpage somewhere. Nothing more, nothing less.

• 2 weeks later...

prolly not...it's not a new game...it's a game rollback... hopefully by end of next month they will have the basics done...crafting, grinding, xp and the like...

the setting up of the server isn't that hard. You just need all the right libraries and such installed on the server machine, as well as MySQL 5 and you're set. The only issue that remains is once the basic product is out, maintenance is the chore. You could probably do a 24 hour server, but the server would need to be rebooted occasionally just to wipe out the page file and such. The DB being used would also be an issue. Over time it would get frelled because of constant usage. I know for a fact that on my website I have to gothru and optimize tables every so often...just because...

Oh, they are now upto rev 201...and still no basic game insight. If I knew what they were doing and such I'd help. But parsing thru packet-sniffer logs and the like isn't fun... :)

• Executive
If your gonna set it up for everyone to use, it has to be for EVERYONE. No blocking people just coz you dont like them. If they do something wrong in the emu, then thats ok to be blocked, but not for what theyve done on another game.

15378[/snapback]

Yeah, blocking people from a server is not a good thing.

• 1 month later...
Bah no quicktime installed on this PC.

I was just thinking today how cool it would be to play on a rollback server....ahhhh.

Anyway, How's this thing coming along? Are there those nasty Tatooine fart bugs too?

16325[/snapback]

um, right click the link and save locally...

and not very well. Now there's another group out there that is writing an emu using VB. I think the url is vbemu.com or something like that. Do a google search for vb emu. the way the vb-emu team is gonna do it is they will keep the code and distribute binaries and an internet patch util so you don't have to be a master programmer and compile yourself. the only drawbacks? windows only and you can't do any heavy modding of the server yourself. But the vb-emu team says that there will be user customizable scripts and such...

so we'll see....

• 4 months later...

Decided to look into the swgemu after almost 3 months and they've done alot! Here's a vid of them testing out some of the combat professions (almost 400 people logged in at once)

and if you want the hidef version, there's a link (cut and paste) in the description...