SancTuarY's Own SWGEMU Server

JerokTalram

If SancTuarY had it's own server, I would...  

27 members have voted

1. 1. If SancTuarY had it's own server, I would...

• what? who cares
    • might login to try it
    • play regularly
    • Volunteer to be a CSR
    • Volunteer to be a GM
    • Volunteer to be Part of the Development team
    • Donate to the Cause

SWGEMU servers are popping up all over and I was wondering if members of this great guild have considered running our own.

I work for a hosting company and have a computer sitting here that I could make into a SWGEMU server. There are some costs involved in putting this machine in our colo but I know if I stopped paying SOE $30 a month I could afford to donate something to the cause.

Discuss.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm.

It might be fun but it also might be more trouble that we want, seeing as how EMU isn't an officially liscensed product and all that.

I played for a few years on a 'pirated server' for another game and it can definately be a headache when you're 'not supposed to be there'.

[can't spell this morning]

Hmmm.

It might be fun but it also might be more trouble that we want, seeing as how EMU isn't an officially liscensed product and all that.

I played for a few years on a 'pirated server' for another game and it can definately be a headache when you're 'not supposed to be there'.

14862[/snapback]

Well the EMU isn't pirated software and they strongly suggest that players use a purchased full version of the SWG client. The reason they are able to write a server for the game is because all the graphics are client side. The server just tells the client the where, when and how to display them.

Also there is nothing illegal about what they are doing. If there was, companies such as Codeweavers and Transgaming would have long been put out of business for writing Linux/FreeBSD versions of the Windows APIs so you can run Office or play windows games on Linux.

People have been playing SWG on Linux for years and while SOE refuses to support running on Linux, they can't stop you from doing so.

Well you could be right.

I just thought I remembered seeing something in the EULA for SWG.

But thenI can't say I've ever not had a case of selective illiteracy in that general area.

14865[/snapback]

SOE can put whatever they want in the EULA that doesn't make it enforceable.

• Founder
Hmmm.

14862[/snapback]

my main concern would be the lack of community...and the pressure to just "give" everyone what they wanted as a GM/admin.

To make this work we'd more than likely have to have a server for Wanderhome as opposed to having just a "guild server".

Because the only real competition there would be ourselves...and that would kind of suck after awhile. :(

To that end...I have been looking into doing a colocated server thingy possible to run an swgemu server. Call it Wanderhome-exiled or something (those names seem popular lately).

I am trying to download all the components...but it's not easy...

Im really interested to see how it was pre-cu, i was ingame but i never got very far.

Curious, can you copy your toons over to the emu (while not affecting the SWG ones)? and how many toons are you allowed on one server?

14895[/snapback]

You probably can't copy your SWG toons per say but should be possible to recreate them in most respects (save of course the additional professional options).

I am sure it will be upto the GM how many toons you can create. Then again if we aren't charging for accounts, you can always just create another account.

I can edit the database to limit how many toons per account. I'll prolly allow upto 8 toons per account...not that many would need them. Oh, and all 8 toons could be on the same server...lol

Um...need help I think. I need two files from the SWG directory and I can't find suitable ones.

they are:

dbghelp.dll

qt-mt305.dll

if you could zip those and provide a link (in a pm) to yank them...I'd be happy. Oh, and it's ok because they are NOT the swg binaries...they only support files. :) All this cuz I lost my original install discs...lol

(edited: forgot the word NOT...lol)

Edited by Zhiv

Ok. Took a screen shot from inside swg while running on my own server. For proof, just read the chat box on the screen.

BTW, turned up every possible graphic to test my card and boy is it laggy. But looks really good with volumetric shadows. Guess I need to get a better vid card :)

Me outside Cnet (in background)

Dood, is your toon a dwarf? the grass is like huge! :o

14928[/snapback]

Hehe...I was ground level when I took that screenie...so I could see the tops of the buildings :P

Do the tutorials? I don't think they are implemented yet.

14929[/snapback]

Yeah, nothing is implemented...yet. But you can walk around, and use the shuttles to move from place to place.

I changed my toon...from male to female (cuz I like how she looks :P), put her in a quest only leotard, put some jewelry on her and decided to go out on the town.

Shuttled over to Mos Eisley to hang out in the cantina...heard the music but wha?!? No band!

lol

Screenshot