Memorial Day

Edaun Ifor

Memorial Day is the time in America we remember those who have fought for our country's freedom. Many soldiers, airmen, sailors and marines have paid the ultimate price for our freedom, and this is the day we remember them. It is also the day in which we honor those who have served or are serving in our armed forces, for their willingness to place themselves in the line of fire.

/Salute

I served a three year tour in (what used to be) West Germany during the Cold War, right before the fall of the Berlin Wall. As the driver of both a Humvee and a now-decommissioned Self-Propelled 8" Howizter, we trained constantly lest the threat of nearby Czech and Russian countries (as well as East Germany) decided to move against Europe. Our guns, able to shoot nukes, were mainly used for bombardment and able to hit a target the size of a dining room table at a range of 20 miles. Of course, the shell would obliterate everything within 100 meters, but the weapons were deadly accurate nonetheless. I spent three cold winters in Germany in the mud, snow and rain for my country. Honorably discharged, I went straight into college (GI Bill FTW), but my folks received a telegram from the DoD on January 31st, 1991 requesting my presence at a specific Army base in the midwest in support of Operation: Desert Shield, and I had to drop of out school and go back to the Army.

I retrained in the US and was flown back to Germany for 45 days during the war. We followed news reports and read the Stars and Stripes about the war and thought constantly of "being deployed to Saudi" to fire our Howitzers for real. The war was over in under 100 hours. I received a US defense commendation for my service and was discharged to civilian life once more.

Every Veterans Day and Memorial Day I go out of my way to thank those servicemen and women for their dedication to duty and their willingness to serve. I am also reminded of my participation when I go places in Raleigh. A local home-store in my town, offered Vets and Military families 10% off at their store via coupon. I was given one as I walked in the door. We had some shopping to do, and this was a nice gesture. At the checkout counter, however, the cashier declined my coupon because I did not have "proper identification" validating my service to my country. I do not have an ID card any longer (not retired), nor do I carry my DD-214 forms around in my wallet, nor do I wear my dress greens, BDUs, or carry my rank around with me. All the same, I SERVED PROUDLY and I am quite perturbed that my coupon was rejected simply because I don't have proper ID on me at the time of sale. I told the cashier, "I should have brought my medals with me." I was half-tempted to bring my dress uniform (hangs in my closet to this day) and the display I have from my only Army Achievement Medal I EARNED by the sweat of my brow, and ask for my $6 discount.

(I was pretty mad) Mostly, I was saddened by the way this treatment made me feel; as if I never served, or I was not a veteran, or the things I had done had no meaning to anyone other than my family.

Please thank those who are serving, Phathorn, Dawnmist, Haskell, (others?) for their service, and remember to remember those who have fought and died so we can remain free.

/salute Vets of SancT.

Ed

Edited by Edaun Ifor