Looking for opinion on new build

Yva Xorna

Ok time to upgrade to something more modern and climb my way out of the bug hole I have fallen into.

This computer is starting to choke on a lot of games and I think it is not enough cores to do what I want.

I've been looking at a lot of different options and I found 2 Alienware that I really like.

I thought I read something about AMD having driver issues and bad framerates in SC but I don't know if maybe that got fixed?

Should I stick with the i9 platform maybe?

OPTION 1:
AMD Ryzen™ 9 5900 (12-Core, 70MB Total Cache, Max Boost Clock of 4.7GHz)
NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3080 10GB GDDR6X LHR
32GB, 2x16GB, DDR4, 3200MHz, XMP
1TB NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD
$3,075.00

OR

OPTION2:
12th Gen Intel® Core™ i9 12900KF (16-Core, 30MB Cache, 3.2GHz to 5.2GHz w/Turbo Boost Max 3.0)
NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3080 10GB GDDR6X LHR
64GB Dual Channel DDR5 at 4400MHz
1TB NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD

I'm leaning towards the i9 one with 64 memory even though it is $700 more.

Let me know what you think? I will probably put in an order next week.

• Like 2

Right now Star Citizen eats up to 15-18 GB RAM, NORMALLY and that means no RAM leak. Option 2 is a lot better because of the DDR5 technology on the RAM, you have a higher work frequency on the RAM, MOAR RAM (lol), plus Intel i9 12th technology has some crazy stuff, which is a lot fancier than the Ryzen 9 5900.

So my opinion is that with those 700$ you get a lot more and Option 2 is my go-to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Nikoooo said:

Right now Star Citizen eats up to 15-18 GB RAM, NORMALLY and that means no RAM leak. Option 2 is a lot better because of the DDR5 technology on the RAM, you have a higher work frequency on the RAM, MOAR RAM (lol), plus Intel i9 12th technology has some crazy stuff, which is a lot fancier than the Ryzen 9 5900.

So my opinion is that with those 700$ you get a lot more and Option 2 is my go-to.

Thank you Nikoooo. I believe you are correct about the DDR5. The other thing I like is that the SSD is larger. I was reading that Star Citizen runs better on an SSD drive but I didn't have room so I had to put it on something else. 

• Like 2