Discussion on the serious side of games.

Yva Xorna

For most of us, games are "just" a dopamine-inducing time-sink (and I say that with affection)  and  a chance to hangout with friends.

But let's take a moment to show respect for those who use this venue to actually put food on their table. 

I just read this interesting article on attempts to unionize the  gaming industry.

I think the current conditions in this field are  harsher  than necessary  and I feel reforms are needed  but I am not sure that a union is the right way to go either.

Feel free to chime in your thoughts below.

• Like 2

I don't think gaming is taken seriously enough in the States to warrant any kind of "gaming rights" outside of what is already established within normal laws.  I think the nation that takes it the most serious is definitely South Korea.  How do they handle it?  Even me being 30 and growing up on video games and PCs, I still have a hard time taking "gaming" seriously as a career choice, and I can't say it's something I'd encourage my future kids to do.  But, it is certainly growing.

On the union note.... I am never a fan of unions this day and age.  I think there used to be a time and place for them, but today I feel they largely do more harm than good.

These are just my general opinions with honestly knowing nothing deeper than surface-level knowledge on the subject (pro-gaming industry)...  I guess those are my "default" feelings toward the matter but I'd have to do a lot more research to know anything on the topic.  For example, you say, "I think the current conditions in this field are  harsher  than necessary..."  I have never looked that far into that side of things to have an opinion one way or another.

• Like 2

In my opinion,

an union would work somewhat yet it is awareness and revolt against such companies that would need to be done.

Look at EA, Activision, Ubisoft etc. and the games they make, in the time they make it. They churn out less and less quality games in faster times, which stress employees because they KNOW people will buy it, they know there will always be enough "casual" consumers, because everyone loves sequels. 1 good game and the rest gradually becomes a moneygrab. After the game is done and/or earned enough, it becomes that time again where people get fired.

and then you have indie developers, who have it quite a bit harder because they do not have the same amount of funding, they got no recognition, yet they still are able to make games better than that because, some of them were made with care, instead of heartless like most AAA games.

but, the issue is the companies as much as it is us, the consumers.

If we stop supporting such acts, and just stop buying mindlessly, best case scenario there are  atleast 2 ways it could go.

1: it backfires completely and they work with skeleton crews due to not getting enough profit, but, as people look towards other developers/games it should be fine

2: the companies and the people come to an agreement however that would possibly impact indie developers that are unable to keep up with those terms.

I dont really know if there is a good solution except, stop consuming, stop buying microtransactions, stop buying dlc unless the game is worth it.

(bit off tangent but the gist of it is that if we stop buying, they stop selling or change, as long as we would have a goal in mind)

• Like 1