INFO: Investment Information Resources

Astrus

• Founder

This thread will serve as a means of providing us w/ reliable sites that will help us all.

If you believe that a site should be added to this list please post the website, book, video, etc. and I may add it to this list. But be sure to post a brief description of what the resource provides.

-----------------------------------

WEBSITES

Investopedia.com - This site will be your intellectual machete, used to cut through the Wall Street Jargon and help you to better understand investing as a whole. Should you get serious about investing, you will love me for hipping you to this site - Astrus

Yahoo! Finance - easily the best place to get most of the info you will need about a company. - Astrus

Investors Business Daily - an awesome resource for news and info for your stocks. Much better than Wall Street Journal. - Astrus

Motley Fool: CAPS - This website is basically a community of over 100,000 traders who rank stocks. The info on this site should always be taken w/ a grain of salt and a few pounds of homework, but it maybe able to help you solidify your thesis on a security/strategy. - Astrus

Bankrate.com - an awesome place to get competing rates from banks on a multitude of things, including CDs, credit cards and more. - Astrus

BOOKS

Trading for a Living - is written by Dr. Alexander Elder, a psychologist, who quit his psychology practice to become a full time trader. A very indepth book on self discipline and why it can make or break you when investing. - Astrus

Stay Mad for Life: James Cramer - Im a definite fan of Jim Cramer. He's not 100% right all the time, no one is, not even Buffet. But being right most of the time, and being able to explain the nuances of trading in plain english is why hes as popular as he is. "Stay Mad for Life" is a book you should read BEFORE you think about trading stocks. Think of it as a personal finance book, because you shouldn't even think of growing your money in the market when you cant even balance your books at home. - Carthar (Description by Astrus)

Real Money: James Cramer - I would consider Real Money to be the second book you read if you've mastered the disciplines in Stay Mad for Life. This is the book that explains to you the intricacies of investing in stocks. It reads like a elementary school book in the sense that Cramer really goes out of his way to give you the definition of the jargon he uses, in a attempt to save you too many visits to Investopedia or Dictionary.com - Carthar (Description by Astrus)

Mad Money: James Cramer - I would consider Mad Money to be the book you read after you've understood "Real Money" 100%. This will help solidify and help answer any questions you may have been left w/ in Real Money. A very thorough incite into a Hedge Fund Managers mind. - Carthar (Description by Astrus)

The Art of Negotiation: Gerard I. Nierenberg - This is a book for people who don't understand how to see the "underneath beneath the underneath". Gerard is pretty ok at getting you to open your mind and see the subtleties of human interaction in the hopes of helping you control the world you live in. - Carthar (Description by Astrus)

The Neatest Little Guide to Stock Market Investing, 2008 Edition: Jason Kelly - This book basically helped me grasp a lot of the things needed to be known about investing. It talks about the Dow and the various other benchmarks out there and much more. - Durry

VIDEOS

Investing in Plain English - a VERY BASIC understanding of the risks and rewards of investing. - Astrus

------------------------------------

...more info coming soon.

Edited by Astrus
  • Thanks 1

I dont know how to link things to the forums so i will just write the websites.

Msn money - http://moneycentral.msn.com/home.asp

Bloomberg - http://www.bloomberg.com/?b=0&Intro=intro3

Charles schwab - https://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/home/welcomep.html

Nasdaq - http://www.nasdaq.com/

(My dad also says he researches on various blogs and uses "google" as his biggest search engine.)

Some good books are:

Jim Cramer:

-Confessions of a street addict

-Real Money

-Stay mad for Life

-Mad Money

William J. O'Neil:

-How to Make Money in Stocks

Gerard I. Nierenberg:

-The Art of Negotiating

Chester L. Karrass:

-The Negotiating Game

This is what ive seen so far there is much, much more but i looked in my dads library and found some things that looked good. Some of them arent just about stocks but about negotiating and thinking ahead in economics. I will be adding more when i find it. This is added to astrus posts which my dad said are also good sites.

>Carthershamy<

• Like 1

• Founder
I dont know how to link things to the forums so i will just write the websites.

Msn money - http://moneycentral.msn.com/home.asp

Bloomberg - http://www.bloomberg.com/?b=0&Intro=intro3

Charles schwab - https://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/home/welcomep.html

Nasdaq - http://www.nasdaq.com/

(My dad also says he researches on various blogs and uses "google" as his biggest search engine.)

Some good books are:

William J. O'Neil:

-How to Make Money in Stocks

Chester L. Karrass:

-The Negotiating Game

This is what ive seen so far there is much, much more but i looked in my dads library and found some things that looked good. Some of them arent just about stocks but about negotiating and thinking ahead in economics. I will be adding more when i find it. This is added to astrus posts which my dad said are also good sites.

>Carthershamy<

39455[/snapback]

I will post descriptions for the Cramer Books and the Nierenberg book, because I have read those, but could you please post descriptions in your own words of what the other resources are for?

You will need to do that before I add them to the main post, and it helps everyone understand a little about the resources before they actually go to it.

What you can also do is post a link to the review section of Amazon.com if its a book, or the description area of a website if its a website.

Also guys, please try to make sure youve read the book and/or know the resource pretty well before you post. Im not saying youve never read these books Carthar, but IF you havent, be sure too. Powerful stuff.

I'm not going to add Confessions of a Street Addict, only because its more of a Cramer Autobiography than anythingelse. It gives you insight into the mind of a successful hedge fund manager but doesn't really give you step by step instruction on managing your money. If you are trying to outsmart fund managers in one of your strategies its a great book to read.

Good post btw, and thanks for being one of the first to get in here and help people out. smile.gif

• Thanks 1

I will post descriptions for the Cramer Books and the Nierenberg book, because I have read those, but could you please post descriptions in your own words of what the other resources are for?

You will need to do that before I add them to the main post, and it helps everyone understand a little about the resources before they actually go to it.

What you can also do is post a link to the review section of Amazon.com if its a book, or the description area of a website if its a website.

Also guys, please try to make sure youve read the book and/or know the resource pretty well before you post. Im not saying youve never read these books Carthar, but IF you havent, be sure too. Powerful stuff.

I'm not going to add Confessions of a Street Addict, only because its more of a Cramer Autobiography than anythingelse. It gives you insight into the mind of a successful hedge fund manager but doesn't really give you step by step instruction on managing your money. If you are trying to outsmart fund managers in one of your strategies its a great book to read.

Good post btw, and thanks for being one of the first to get in here and help people out. smile.gif

39457[/snapback]

Yeah sorry about that dude ill make sure to add some of that stuff just wanted to get started, im not the biggest forum junkie and still getting used to this so any info helps thanks.

• Like 1

Yeah sorry about that dude ill make sure to add some of that stuff just wanted to get started, im not the biggest forum junkie and still getting used to this so any info helps thanks.

39458[/snapback]

The Neatest Little Guide to Stock Market Investing

2008 Edition (The link to his site is here) This book basically helped me grasp a lot of the things needed to be known about investing. Along with the Mad series ( I only have mad money) It talks about the Dow and the various other benchmarks out there and much more. I enjoyed this book and I hope this helps.

-edited 11:12pm 4-15-09

Also this really helped me to understand what the difference between a full service stock brokerage and an online discount stock brokerage. This was very important to me because I didn't know if the full service brokerage would actually give me an edge with research they gave to their investors.

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I have a few books which may help you understand a bit social economics. Make solid economic decisions.

Influence The Psychology of Persuasion By Robert B. Cialdini, PH. D. http://www.amazon.com/Influence-Psychology-Persuasion-Robert-Cialdini/dp/0688128165

How do you defend yourself from saying yes to something you say no. How marketing affects your decisions everyday of your life. From a woman giving you flowers in a airport to a child giving you flowers for a play. Science of Persuasion. Reciprocation rule. Commitment and Consistency. Social Proof. Liking. Authority. Scarcity. Weapons of Influence. This book may also save your life or your family. Where everyone wants to help but , it takes one person to start it. When one person sees a accident they will help you. But in a large crowd of people, They tend to wait to see. Unless you tell someone in the group to do something. Then naturaly everyone will start helping.

Freakonomics A Rogue Economist Explores The Hidden Side of Everything By Steven D. Levitt and Sephen J. Dubner http://www.amazon.com/Freakonomics-Economist-Explores-Hidden-Everything/dp/006073132X

Which is more dangerous a gun or a swimming pool? How economics is applied everyday. You should read it.

Superfreakonmics By Steven D. Levitt and Sephen J. Dubner http://www.amazon.com/SuperFreakonomics-Cooling-Patriotic-Prostitutes-Insurance/dp/0060889578

How is a street prostitute like a department-store Santa? What incentives make people make economic decisions.

I hope this helps everyone in their economic decisions.

• 9 years later...