Blackscreen

Kiari Shiak

Many moons ago, after new expansions, I was having trouble playing SWG because my screen would randomly turn black and I have to manually reboot. Then I somehow fixed the problem. Of course I cannot remember what I did though. That would be too easy.

Then my computer decided to freak out (memory card issues) and hard drive got wiped a couple of times, and had to take it to the shop a few times.

SO now I am once again dealing with the blackscreen issue. I am, how do you say, technologically-challenged, so I decided to post this question in the forums of the mighty Sanctuary.

Also I recently uninstalled my Nvidia drivers, then downloaded newest ones and installed them - doesn't help.

Any suggestions?? It's difficult to play when computer shuts down every 10-15 minutes :unsure: .

Check out the technical forums on the SOE website to see if anyone else is having a similar problem. More than likely the devs *screwed* up again which is causing this malfunction, but not expect them to admit it.

With most issues like this, all you have to do is wait for a patch to be introduced which fixes this *screw* up. I had a huge amount of lag issues after the release of chapter 1, after the next patch it worked fine again. Id say your gonna have to wait it out and complain to soe (unless your other games are doing it too).

(apparently they are having troubles with most graphic cards atm :cussing: )

I'm probably talking about something completely different, and I apologize... but my SWG was all black whenever my firewall wanted me to grant it access. Although that happened when I first would go into the game, sounds like yours happens randomly throughout your play-time. Anyway for some reason the mcaffree box asking me to grant permission wouldn't come to the screen's forefront and all I got was a black screen. I basically remembered where the mcafree box was and moved my mouse to that general area, and then I saw the cursor change to a finger which I knew was the "grant access" option although my entire screen was black.

Actually Shaw, the reason I took the comp to the shop was because it started randomly shutting down completely, not just blackscreen. Turns out a power surge or something was giving me errors in the memory card or whatever (argh brain hurting) so anyway I installed a different mem card (I have 2 installed) and got a new power supply installed, so that's ok now.

Yva, I was getting the black screen playing Wow also. Seems like the intense graphics just overwhelmed the comp. I do have a fan installed on the video card now, and I have the comp angled to have nothing near the sides or back.

I'm sure it's not my firewall, Gepag, sounds frustrating though what you went through. I will be going along in SWG and suddenly *blackscreen of doom*. :cussing:

Yeah Mav, I should check the forums for sure. I haven't had a lot of time lately...these 5 week summer courses are brutal :blink: .

Perhaps it is a problem of overheating. I havent played SWG since it started getting hot down here (KY). I could bring my box fan over here I guess lol and aim it at the comp when I play graphic-intensive games. Can't hurt to try!

Thanks for your ideas!

• Founder

Well so far youve gone in the right direction....

Firewalls tend to give you the black screen when the game is loading after the first splash screens tho...

If you are in the middle of gameplay and you get the black screen (after making a RAM and Powersupply exchange).

Then im about 95% sure thats its your video card....get that replaced w/ a nice 256mb card and you should be kosher.

If that doesnt work...its time for a new motherboard and processor.

Actually another issue may be over heating, it tends to get left out of the list. make sure the fan on your processor and vidcard (if it has one) are running properly. Plus I'm not certain how clean you keep your computer but make sure not dust is stuck in or around the fan... I've seen fans melt to the processor before because of dust issues.

Other than that, perhaps some of your RAM is corrupt. The are a few situations while SWG players have suffered from RAM faliure. Or try to replace your video card.

If your not certain on what type to get and if it matches up with all the other components I'm sure Astrus or I could direct you there.

Oh so it happens in WoW too? Does it do it in single player games? Maybe the stress of all the graphics calculations comming from the Servers maybe the cause.

If it is heating then take off the side panel to your case and get a small house fan blowing straight into the system, that helped me out in summer oh and also elevate it off the carpet by a wooden board or something. Things you may want to consider is to upgrade to a larger case, maybe theres not enough airflow inside the case. and perhaps installing a water-cooling system, to keep the temperature down.

Oh so it happens in WoW too? Does it do it in single player games? Maybe the stress of all the graphics calculations comming from the Servers maybe the cause.

If it is heating then take off the side panel to your case and get a small house fan blowing straight into the system, that helped me out in summer oh and also elevate it off the carpet by a wooden board or something. Things you may want to consider is to upgrade to a larger case, maybe theres not enough airflow inside the case. and perhaps installing a water-cooling system, to keep the temperature down.

14196[/snapback]

Well, I don't play single player games, so don't know about that. Yes it happened in WoW too though.

My comp is on a hardwood floor, which stays pretty cool because the a/c vent is about four feet away.

If I take off the side and have a fan blowing in, wouldn't that be bad, since dust would get in? And would my cats get electrocuted or something? :o

Alright I'm going to try playing SWG this weekend, with a fan set up to catch the a/c air and blow it on the comp. If that doesn't work...*aims gun at computer* :rolleyes:

It must be tha cat hair infestation :)

14260[/snapback]

Hmm...there's a good point...but they outnumber me (3 of them) and when I asked Onyx if she thought cat hair was a problem, here's the look I got: :o

Onyxdemon.jpg

Incidentally, I put my box fan a foot away from the comp and had it blowing this morning, I was able to play for over an hour in space with only one blackout! Maybe the fan will work! :woot:

Well so far youve gone in the right direction....

Firewalls tend to give you the black screen when the game is loading after the first splash screens tho...

If you are in the middle of gameplay and you get the black screen (after making a RAM and Powersupply exchange).

Then im about 95% sure thats its your video card....get that replaced w/ a nice 256mb card and you should be kosher.

If that doesnt work...its time for a new motherboard and processor.

14185[/snapback]

I agree with Astrus. Also note that current Nvidia drivers are kind of crappy. Especially if you have an older Nvidia card. I was having problems with Kotor II and I thought that was because I was running 64Bit Windows. Though when I installed Civ IV, I quickly learned that no actually the current Nvidia drivers were crap. I ended up running a version of the driver from last October just so I could play the game more than 2 minutes.

Now I have a Radeon x700 with 256MB of Ram and it runs fairly well. A lot faster than my old Nvidia 5200.