Advances in Robot Dexterity

Yva Xorna

Robots have piqued my interest since I was about 5 or 6. If you’ve ever worked much with them, however, you soon realize the limitations of their ability to grasp and manipulate objects. Sure they can fill a soda can or weld on car parts. But you definitely don’t want them picking your tomatoes! I’m excited to see what OpenAI can accomplish as they seem to have had some recent success.

This hand has no skin on it - lacks ability to fixate target while slightly touching it and in some moments it’s frustrating to see how it tries to roll that dice a bit but it just slips left and right. 

Robots deserve skin. And might be something fleshy under it. Metal and plastic is too slippery even for a human to operate with.

That would help increas dexterity in that kind of operation. But engineers won’t be able to do anything with a hand without removing that cover first, that’s why they might not make it. 

Same problem with cheep artificial limbs, especially hands, every model I saw had not got any rubberized cover on it, except really few and expensive ones. While most of them have a really good motion detection system and can be operated (after certain training) easily, has relally smooth limb movements and allow all movements a real limb capable of. 

Edited by Somaly

Some of them are not as good as they seem, hard silicon cover is not as easily damaged while in active use, but add not as much grasp. Better than nothing though. And I haven’t herd about the other type of cover. 

But what about being fleshy? My palm is much more fleshy than any silicon cover can provide while still be useful without a need of replacing that cover every several months. 

• Like 2

@Somaly yes that is the problem. Some of it might look , at first glance,  acceptable but correct it will still feel, for lack of a better description, icky. That and the fact that it isn't as flexible as a real hand. The myoletric  ones needs batteries too. We don't yet have a robot hand that can replace a real hand. But I'm happy that they are making better ones ?