Happy July 4th!!!!

Astrus

Wasnt trying to split hairs bud. Usually when people "split hairs" its w/ a statement, not a question. I just wanted to know what made you take the flag way more seriously that it was supposed to be taken.

The Flag is a logo for the indigenous people, and only represents the actions of the people. The American Flag doesnt make the law, start the war, issue the bill or feed the people of the USA. The people do.

I totally agree that you should never burn the flag of the USA . If you feel your country is being thrown into chaos you should petition the people and try to motivate them to help the country.....Hopefully if thats done when people look at the American Flag they wont be disgusted, but rather inspired and proud.

Burning or destroying an inanimate object isnt going to make anything better and shows a sort of hatred for the country itself, not the people who you may feel are destroying it.

.....if you burn anything, burn the @$$***** who are tearing your country apart. lol. :P

Thats just my personal take on the flag though.

34993[/snapback]

U.S. Flag Code states, "The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning".

/splittinghairs

U.S. Flag Code states, "The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning".

/splittinghairs

34994[/snapback]

Yeah I know that.

Astrus,

When you start to compare those who are the best of the best of the best in athletics and who are representing this country world-wide in the Olympic games and those people who wear their America flag dungarees to the local mall, I think it's like apples and oranges. There is a huge difference between the two.

What I get bent out of shape about is the shirt that could be superimposed over the top of the flagpole at your state capitol and you would not even know the shirt is there. I think there should be a law somewhere where folks could not wear the American flag as their clothes.

I am not taking it too seriously, in fact this used to be the norm.

Let's look at the military and see how much respect is placed on the flag:

In West Germany, every morning at 6 am and every evening at 5 pm, if you were outdoors and heard the bugle calls being played over the PA system on post, you were REQUIRED to stand at attention, salute until the bugle call ended. The bugle call was played each time the US Flag was raised or lowered. This happened 7 days a week. You were REQUIRED to salute when the flag was brought in for ceremonies. That is simply showing respect. This respect for the flag I have never lost, and will never change my mind about, no matter who is in office or how bad things get in this country. There is no premise nor argument that will ever change my viewpoint about how every American ought to respect the flag, IMO it should be done in like manner.

Everyone is free to have their own ideas about life in the US, and I respect that too.

Back after 9/11, do you remember how trendy it became to have a flag? It was so trendy all of a sudden, that you could hardly BUY one anywhere, it would be sold almost instantly. In fact, they were in such high demand, that some people reported having their flags stolen from their front yard! I remember hearing about how the magnetic sign flags were removed from parked cars, just so some thief could have a flag displayed.

Respecting the flag is important because in my generation, we said the Pledge of Allegiance every morning in school; we put our hands over our hearts when we said it too.

How many people in this generation even KNOW the Pledge?

Dawn, the flag is burned out of respect. It is the one case where burning is called for.

/split hairs right back atcha.

Like I said, I am a patriot; apparently, I come from an entirely different generation of Americans who held more respect for the symbols of this country than folks do today. I must be getting old.

Yeah I know that.

Astrus,

When you start to compare those who are the best of the best of the best in athletics and who are representing this country world-wide in the Olympic games and those people who wear their America flag dungarees to the local mall, I think it's like apples and oranges. There is a huge difference between the two.

What I get bent out of shape about is the shirt that could be superimposed over the top of the flagpole at your state capitol and you would not even know the shirt is there. I think there should be a law somewhere where folks could not wear the American flag as their clothes.

I am not taking it too seriously, in fact this used to be the norm.

Let's look at the military and see how much respect is placed on the flag:

In West Germany, every morning at 6 am and every evening at 5 pm, if you were outdoors and heard the bugle calls being played over the PA system on post, you were REQUIRED to stand at attention, salute until the bugle call ended.  The bugle call was played each time the US Flag was raised or lowered. This happened 7 days a week.  You were REQUIRED to salute when the flag was brought in for ceremonies. That is simply showing respect. This respect for the flag I have never lost, and will never change my mind about, no matter who is in office or how bad things get in this country.  There is no premise nor argument that will ever change my viewpoint about how every American ought to respect the flag, IMO it should be done in like manner.

Everyone is free to have their own ideas about life in the US, and I respect that too.

Back after 9/11, do you remember how trendy it became to have a flag?  It was so trendy all of a sudden, that you could hardly BUY one anywhere, it would be sold almost instantly.  In fact, they were in such high demand, that some people reported having their flags stolen from their front yard!  I remember hearing about how the magnetic sign flags were removed from parked cars, just so some thief could have a flag displayed.

Respecting the flag is important because in my generation, we said the Pledge of Allegiance every morning in school; we put our hands over our hearts when we said it too.

How many people in this generation even KNOW the Pledge?

Dawn, the flag is burned out of respect. It is the one case where burning is called for.

/split hairs right back atcha.

Like I said, I am a patriot; apparently, I come from an entirely different generation of Americans who held more respect for the symbols of this country than folks do today. I must be getting old.

34999[/snapback]

Isn't part of being an American to show a little rebellion every once in a while and or change our methods to stay modern?

I agree with Ed here, whole-heartedly.

"The flag of the United States has not been created by rhetorical sentences in declarations of independence and in bills of rights. It has been created by the experience of a great people, and nothing is written upon it that has not been written by their life. It is the embodiment, not of a sentiment, but of a history."

- President Woodrow Wilson

Do not undervalue the power of symbols, first of all.

The flag is a powerful symbol of everything the people in the country stand for and everything our soldiers of the past have fought for. For sure, Old Glory isn't going to put food on my table or pass a bill into law. Obviously. But the freedoms that our fore fathers fought and died for gave us the rights we enjoy today. Such as life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness (or food, whatever). The flag is the embodiment of that history, of those rights, and a tribute to all that have fought for them.

I see and read the same pissing and moaning everyone else does, about how our country is going to *crap*, the end is near and OH WOE, someone said "black hole" and offended my delicate sensibilities. Damn racist solar system.

Anyway, one of the many things every single civilian in this country has in common is that they CAN piss and moan and not have to worry abou the Big Boot of the Government stomping down the door and dragging them away into the night. Someone's father, brother, son or husband died to ensure that never happens. To reflect present day warfare, someone's mother, sister, daughter or wife has met the same fate.

I see the flag as a tribute that sacrifice as well. There is a REASON all military bases, all military members, show such a high level of respect for the flag. I... don't know how much clearer I can make it... People DIE for what the flag represents. I know they are all just random, nameless, faceless statistics to most people, and that makes it easier to disregard them. To make light of their sacrifice. It is easy and trendy to say "Support the Troops!!!!! ZOMG!!!" when you have no real idea of what it is like to walk in their shoes.

The flag is not to be taken lightly or tossed off with the shallow elitist ideals I've seen tossed around. Or be used as a bra. I've totally seen that....

Perhaps only those who have fought, and have sacrificed, can truly understand this. And that is a crying damn shame.

Isn't part of being an American to show a little rebellion every once in a while and or change our methods to stay modern?

35005[/snapback]

Certainly. However, too many people these days fall under the catagory of "Rebel Without a Clue".

• Founder

34999[/snapback]

No other American is better than me. NO ONE. You act like youre better than me I will put you in your *screw*ing place one way or the other.

This is our country. We are to be treated equally as the constitution states. The fact that youre an athlete, or a accountant, or a farmer, or a soldier, doesnt give you any more accordance to place more value on yourself than other people.

There is no difference between the American people. Thats been our problem for 100's years, we cant seem to get it through our damn heads that all people should be treated equally and its severely halted our progress over the past 100 years.

If you feel an athlete of American citizenship can wear the flag, then the "best of the best of the best" Grocery Bag handler should be able to wear it to. Because you better believe if that American grocery bag handler goes to Japan speaking freely, hes representing his country whether he likes it or not.

"The flag of the United States has not been created by rhetorical sentences in declarations of independence and in bills of rights. It has been created by the experience of a great people, and nothing is written upon it that has not been written by their life. It is the embodiment, not of a sentiment, but of a history."

- President Woodrow Wilson

Do not undervalue the power of symbols, first of all.

The flag is a powerful symbol of everything the people in the country stand for and everything our soldiers of the past have fought for.  For sure, Old Glory isn't going to put food on my table or pass a bill into law. Obviously. But the freedoms that our fore fathers fought and died for gave us the rights we enjoy today. Such as life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness (or food, whatever).  The flag is the embodiment of that history, of those rights, and a tribute to all that have fought for them.

I see and read the same pissing and moaning everyone else does, about how our country is going to *crap*, the end is near and OH WOE, someone said "black hole" and offended my delicate sensibilities. Damn racist solar system.

Anyway, one of the many things every single civilian in this country has in common is that they CAN piss and moan and not have to worry abou the Big Boot of the Government stomping down the door and dragging them away into the night.  Someone's father, brother, son or husband died to ensure that never happens. To reflect present day warfare, someone's mother, sister, daughter or wife has met the same fate.

I see the flag as a tribute that sacrifice as well. There is a REASON all military bases, all military members, show such a high level of respect for the flag. I... don't know how much clearer I can make it... People DIE for what the flag represents. I know they are all just random, nameless, faceless statistics to most people, and that makes it easier to disregard them. To make light of their sacrifice. It is easy and trendy to say "Support the Troops!!!!! ZOMG!!!" when you have no real idea of what it is like to walk in their shoes.

The flag is not to be taken lightly or tossed off with the shallow elitist ideals I've seen tossed around. Or be used as a bra. I've totally seen that....

Perhaps only those who have fought, and have sacrificed, can truly understand this. And that is a crying damn shame.

35006[/snapback]

From the look of your points I marked in blue, me and you agree on at least one thing. The flag is a representation of its people and their experiences past and present.

The flag would be absolutely nothing w/o the people who have helped define this nation....its funny how people give more respect to the flag than they would the constitution in which more or less defines the country it represents.

Lets look at it this way...if an American citizen was bleeding to death at the leg and the American flag was the only thing around that I could shred to help stop this citizen from bleeding to death, would I then not be as much of a patriot if I tore the flag? Or would I be more of a patriot for helping to save another citizen who could one day add MORE meaning to the flag that represents his country?

........see what I mean?

I keep up on events in Iraq and have studied more about war than most of your commanding officers....I keep my eyes filled w/ what is going on so I dont get detached. (Id link some of the information I look at but its not appropriate for this forum).

Lets keep it real now, Dawn and Ed. As a "civilian" you chose your line of work. You were not drafted or born into the military. The work you and other military men and women do should be honored, but the work the farmer does to feed your hungry *butt* should be honored as well.

Lets not go puffing our chests out w/ our issued firearm acting like youre better than other citizens. A militarymens perspective is just as important as a civilians perspective.

...and btw.....wth is "a racist solar system"?? :LOL:

I will be quick, as I want to go home... LOL.

I think most of what Ed was trying to say is that he opposes ppl wearing items that look as though they are directly MADE from the flag.... As opposed to clothing bearing it's image. I could be reading that wrong. I don't oppose the flag on a Tshirt. Do I opposing seeing a bikini looking as though it was MADE OF the flag? Yes, yes I do.

All people deserve equal treatment under the law. How individuals directly interact with each other? Their choice. Always will be. DO ppl always get equal treatment under the law? Nope. And that is indeed a huge flaw.

"...its funny how people give more respect to the flag than they would the

constitution in which more or less defines the country it represents."

Do you have an example in which you climbed into someone's head and see that they respect the flag moreso than the constitution?

"I keep up on events in Iraq and have studied more about war than most of your commanding officers....I keep my eyes filled w/ what is going on so I dont get detached. (Id link some of the information I look at but its not appropriate for this forum)."

I admire your thirst for knowledge.. but.. I doubt this. You can't profess respect for the profession of arms, and then roundly disparage my leadership (military, keeping that distinction). You have read quite a bit. How many "commanding officers" have you ever met?

"Lets keep it real now, Dawn and Ed. As a "civilian" you chose your line of work. You were not drafted or born into the military. The work you and other military men and women do should be honored, but the work the farmer does to feed your hungry *butt* should be honored as well."

Agreed. Altough, people ARE defined by their life choices. And I have a sneaky suspicion that MRE's aren't really made of food.

"Lets not go puffing our chests out w/ our issued firearm acting like youre better than other citizens. A militarymens perspective is just as important as a civilians perspective."

I don't have an issued firearm. I buy my own. :P

Whether or not I personally am better than anyone is an arguement best left for another day. :D

However, as a member of the Armed Forces, my life experiences lead me down a different path than those of some milk-fed civilian sitting comfortably in a LA-Z-Boy and regurgitating whatever FOX or CNN reported that day.

Not that I lump you into that catagory. I wouldn't exactly call you average. ;)

As for the racist solar system: Black Holes

No other American is better than me. NO ONE. You act like youre better than me I will put you in your *screw*ing place one way or the other.

This is our country. We are to be treated equally as the constitution states. The fact that youre an athlete, or a accountant, or a farmer, or a soldier, doesnt give you any more accordance to place more value on yourself than other people.

There is no difference between the American people. Thats been our problem for 100's years, we cant seem to get it through our damn heads that all people should be treated equally and its severely halted our progress over the past 100 years.

If you feel an athlete of American citizenship can wear the flag, then the "best of the best of the best" Grocery Bag handler should be able to wear it to. Because you better believe if that American grocery bag handler goes to Japan speaking freely, hes representing his country whether he likes it or not.

From the look of your points I marked in blue, me and you agree on at least one thing. The flag is a representation of its people and their experiences past and present.

The flag would be absolutely nothing w/o the people who have helped define this nation....its funny how people give more respect to the flag than they would the constitution in which more or less defines the country it represents.

Lets look at it this way...if an American citizen was bleeding to death at the leg and the American flag was the only thing around that I could shred to help stop this citizen from bleeding to death, would I then not be as much of a patriot if I tore the flag? Or would I be more of a patriot for helping to save another citizen who could one day add MORE meaning to the flag that represents his country?

........see what I mean?

I keep up on events in Iraq and have studied more about war than most of your commanding officers....I keep my eyes filled w/ what is going on so I dont get detached. (Id link some of the information I look at but its not appropriate for this forum).

Lets keep it real now, Dawn and Ed. As a "civilian" you chose your line of work. You were not drafted or born into the military. The work you and other military men and women do should be honored, but the work the farmer does to feed your hungry *butt* should be honored as well.

Lets not go puffing our chests out w/ our issued firearm acting like youre better than other citizens. A militarymens perspective is just as important as a civilians perspective.

...and btw.....wth is "a racist solar system"?? :LOL:

35012[/snapback]

I don't understand why you would think I would claim to be better than you, Astrus. Why all this sudden hostility? I served in the military during wartime. I was recalled to active duty out of college. The average american did not do that. I am not claiming to be better than anyone. What I meant was those people who wear the flag on their bodies OUGHT to have more respect for the flag we swore Allegience to all those years ago. This is about the Flag being disrespected, not You being disrespected. I apologize.

Frankly, the direction my opinions have been taken to leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I do not believe myself to be better than anyone else, in the context of what Astrus has described, whether having served in the military or not. I do not put other people down for not having served, as this was my choice. I do believe everyone should serve a minimum of two years in the military branch of their choice, much like youth in Germany do to this day. I think that would be good for the country overall.

I do feel, however, that I can stick out my chest for the time I did serve in the military. This service gave me the firm respect for the government, the historical do**no no word**ents of the country and the flag itself, that I find to be lacking in this present generation. I also learned respect for individuals and their opinions, even if they are diametrically opposed to my own.

I can respect your views on life and politics, Astrus. I do not agree with all of them, but I can agree to disagree. I think we were simply talking about two different things.

• Founder
I don't understand why you would think I would claim to be better than you, Astrus.  Why all this sudden hostility? I served in the military during wartime. I was recalled to active duty out of college. The average american did not do that. I am not claiming to be better than anyone. What I meant was those people who wear the flag on their bodies OUGHT to have more respect for the flag we swore Allegience to all those years ago. This is about the Flag being disrespected, not You being disrespected. I apologize.

35016[/snapback]

When you say stuff like "the best of the best of the best" can wear the american flag, you are making of determination of who can "wear the flag" and who cannot, as if these "best of the best" people are somehow better.

Dawnmist also made the "Perhaps only those who have fought, and have sacrificed, can truly understand this. And that is a crying damn shame." which is why I said "Lets be real now Dawn and Ed..." when making that comment.

I wasn't taking your comments out of context at all, nor being "hostile". I think you're imagning me yelling while youre reading this or something. :LOL:

We can respectfully agree to disagree about wearing the flag. My whole point is that the flag is an innanimate object made great by the people, and if the people want to wear the flag in a way that THEY feel is patriotic, and makes them feel proud to be an American, let them wear it.

We need as many people as we can get who give a damn about this country right now. A good amount of our rich citizens are trying to rob their own people atm. Even veteran POW's are in the pocket of big money....and yes Im talking about Mccain. :P

• Founder
I will be quick, as I want to go home... LOL.

I think most of what Ed was trying to say is that he opposes ppl wearing items that look as though they are directly MADE from the flag.... As opposed to clothing bearing it's image. I could be reading that wrong.  I don't oppose the flag on a Tshirt.  Do I opposing seeing a bikini looking as though it was MADE OF the flag? Yes, yes I do.

Thats understandable...and personally making clothes by cutting into an already made flag is kind of weird to me anyway, but I have no reservations about it. Its just tacky.  :LOL:

Do you have an example in which you climbed into someone's head and see that they respect the flag moreso than the constitution?

No..never climbed into anyones head. But have seen some pretty weird *crap* on the internets about Flag Fetishism....and uh...be careful when youre googling that subject...it can get a little disturbing depending where you click. XD

"I keep up on events in Iraq and have studied more about war than most of your commanding officers....I keep my eyes filled w/ what is going on so I dont get detached. (Id link some of the information I look at but its not appropriate for this forum)."

I admire your thirst for knowledge.. but.. I doubt this. You can't profess respect for the profession of arms, and then roundly disparage my leadership (military, keeping that distinction). You have read quite a bit. How many "commanding officers" have you ever met?

2 Colonels who fought in 1945 against the Nazi's...both are my uncles from my mom's side of the family. They were made to go to the war by their father and were extremely upset when I didn't join the Air Force.

They dealt w/ the horror of the war and racism w/in their branch and only got colonel rank after they retired even though they deserved it while they were in. Im not at all claiming their experiences as my own, but I am still very close w/ them.

I think youve seen alot of their influence come out of me more than once lol.

"Lets keep it real now, Dawn and Ed. As a "civilian" you chose your line of work. You were not drafted or born into the military. The work you and other military men and women do should be honored, but the work the farmer does to feed your hungry *butt* should be honored as well."

Agreed. Altough, people ARE defined by their life choices. And I have a sneaky suspicion that MRE's aren't really made of food.

"Lets not go puffing our chests out w/ our issued firearm acting like youre better than other citizens. A militarymens perspective is just as important as a civilians perspective."

I don't have an issued firearm. I buy my own.  :P

Whether or not I personally am better than anyone is an arguement best left for another day.  :D

However, as a member of the Armed Forces, my life experiences lead me down a different path than those of some milk-fed civilian sitting comfortably in a LA-Z-Boy and regurgitating whatever FOX or CNN reported that day.

Not that I lump you into that catagory. I wouldn't exactly call you average.  ;)

Ty...and youre not the average military woman and neither are most of our members here...Pretty much everyone is forward thinking and can change their minds whereas you find alot of people from the military have a VERY "holier than thou" type of attitude when dealing w/ regular citizens.

I personally think that if you have had to dodge a bullet for this country that you should never have to pay tax for the rest of your life, and ALL forms of medical care should be free, cosmetic or otherwise. And that has more to do w/ fair trade to me than "treating the veterans better than regular citizens". "you put your life on the line for the USA you shouldnt be subject to taxes and your healthcare should be free...forever."

As for the racist solar system: Black Holes

....that guy is an idiot lol. Like I Was saying last night, Ill take him seriously if he can get a few million black people to agree w/ him instead of laugh at him...like Im doing right now.  :LOL:

...and while we are on the subject of random dumbasses. This guy has to be the most racist dude ever. NSFW btw.

35013[/snapback]

My comments in blue....

When you say stuff like "the best of the best of the best" can wear the american flag, you are making of determination of who can "wear the flag" and who cannot, as if these "best of the best" people are somehow better.

OMG. I never even brought this up. You asked me what I thought about the Olympic team wearing the national colors and I told you:  Anyone can wear red white and blue with stars, stripes, or pink polka dots, I don't *screw*ing care. I personally don't care for outfits that look like they were made out of the flag.  I have said that this entire thread.  My opinion is just that: my opinion.

I wasn't taking your comments out of context at all, nor being "hostile". I think you're imagning me yelling while youre reading this or something. :LOL:

"You sound like you're better than me I will put you in your *screw*ing place one way or the other."  That's not hostile?

My point was never about your individual value, it was always about my personal preference concerning the use of the flag in outerwear.  I don't see how my opinions are anyone's business, let alone need to be put in place by someone who has never walked in my shoes.  I submitted examples of why I believe the way I do, I never personally attacked your credibility.  If that doesn't sound hostile, what kind of comment was it?

We can respectfully agree to disagree about wearing the flag. My whole point is that the flag is an innanimate object made great by the people, and if the people want to wear the flag in a way that THEY feel is patriotic, and makes them feel proud to be an  American, let them wear it.

Wear the flag if you want to, but  as little as 60 years ago it was not done. Today in the military it is a thing not done.  I don't care if you dress up like Super Dave or Evel Knievel.. I don't like it, and I never will. I also told durryynn that I thought the Rocky Shorts were cool. I wouldn't wear that jacket you like, but that's just me. I don't like wearing the flag. I have more respect for the flag than that, because it was something ingrained in me during my years of service in the US Army. :dance:

We can respectfully agree to disagree provided that everyone is treated with respect for their respective perspectives. :ROFL: :H5:

35035[/snapback]

• Founder

OMG. I never even brought this up. You asked me what I thought about the Olympic team wearing the national colors and I told you:  Anyone can wear red white and blue with stars, stripes, or pink polka dots, I don't *screw*ing care. I personally don't care for outfits that look like they were made out of the flag.  I have said that this entire thread.   My opinion is just that: my opinion.

SEE QUOTE 1 Below: you said there was a huge difference between the best of the best athletes and a citizen going to the mall.  :blink:

"You sound like you're better than me I will put you in your *screw*ing place one way or the other."  That's not hostile?

My point was never about your individual value, it was always about my personal preference concerning the use of the flag in outerwear.  I don't see how my opinions are anyone's business, let alone need to be put in place by someone who has never walked in my shoes.  I submitted examples of why I believe the way I do, I never personally attacked your credibility.  If that doesn't sound hostile, what kind of comment was it?

I was figuratively speaking when I said that. You wouldnt be in this guild let alone in a position to "pull rank" if I believed you thought you were better than others in this guild because of your military service....and tbh you should know better than to think I was directing that to you personally. :wrong:

We can respectfully agree to disagree about wearing the flag. My whole point is that the flag is an innanimate object made great by the people, and if the people want to wear the flag in a way that THEY feel is patriotic, and makes them feel proud to be an  American, let them wear it.

Wear the flag if you want to, but  as little as 60 years ago it was not done. Today in the military it is a thing not done.  I don't care if you dress up like Super Dave or Evel Knievel.. I don't like it, and I never will. I also told durryynn that I thought the Rocky Shorts were cool. I wouldn't wear that jacket you like, but that's just me. I don't like wearing the flag. I have more respect for the flag than that, because it was something ingrained in me during my years of service in the US Army. :dance:

We can respectfully agree to disagree provided that everyone is treated with respect for their respective perspectives. :ROFL: :H5:

35043[/snapback]

QUOTE 1:

Astrus,

34999[/snapback]

My comments in red...

Like I said youre not thinking here if you believe I was being hostile toward you personally lol.

The stuff you took literally shouldnt have been taken that way, but I guess Ill apologize for that, because I thought you knew me a bit better than to read that the way you did. :wrong:

Its not like you havent known me for years now. :LOL: