vid card question

Yva Xorna

hmm

Well I apparently had a moment of noob-itus and bought a wrong card.

I got a GeForce 6800XT which seemed harmless enough but it's apparently some connection sort I am not familiar with & doesn't fit on any mobo that I have. :blink:

APG=no

PCI=no

The box mentions something about PCI-E (PCI-Express).

So pardon my stupidity but there must be some 3rd type of slot then?

Yes PCI-E is spoce to be the next level in speed for video cards,, and you need a PCI-E slot for it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCIe

hmm

Well I apparently had a moment of noob-itus and bought a wrong card.

I got a GeForce 6800XT which seemed harmless enough but it's apparently some connection sort I am not familiar with & doesn't fit on any mobo that I have. :blink:

APG=no

PCI=no

The box mentions something about PCI-E (PCI-Express).

So pardon my stupidity but there must be some 3rd type of slot then?

14491[/snapback]

And it also depends on what type of computer you have. I had a Dell Dimension 3000 with a really weak vid card and wanted to upgrade it. But when I contacted Dell to find out what I had to do they told me that it was impossible to upgrade the vid card without replacing the whole motherboard. But I'm no computer guru so I don't know if they were just trying to make me buy another computer or what.

You can add a PCI maybe 256 card to the dell dimension 3000 but the built in vid card will still be there and still be useing resources, you might be able to disable it in bios but knowing dell i doubt it..

14497[/snapback]

That sounded like so much trouble when they explained it I just bought a whole new system so I guess the salesman did his job right lol. I bought a Dell XPS 400 with dual core processor, 2 gig ram, 256 video card and alot of extras I'll never use. Yeah, I'm a sucker :)

heheee!

Well sometimes its easier just to buy one you know is going to work right than fight with an old machine when you don't know what's wrong with it.

Me, I kinda prefer to fight with it...just because I do so very much hate to lose :P

I'm a telcom eng by trade, so i know servers and routers ect ect.

so when I built my new gaming PC I did what seems smart when to about 4 local pc stores , worked with each on what i wanted , then compared each of there solutions then called dell , gateway ect..

the picked what i thought was a good deal googled it, saw lots of people complaning, so did the same with the second choice, and found littlein the way of complants.. so here is what i got

for 1500$

dual amd 3800 processors

4 gig ram

dual nVIDIA 6600's teamed together for 512 video, ( well not really on paper its 512 , but in realty its more like a really really really fast 256 card)

and a raid 0, 1 drive set up so thats 2 sets of 2 drives striped and mirrored

the PC boots from power on to log-on in 15 seconds, and usable in 10 more.

(yes bragging a bit) but the moral is simple to shop around of all that the only thing i understood was the drive configuration,,

and a little hint to get a bit more speed out of windows 2000 and xp, right click my computer, go to propertied, then the advance tab, click settings under performace, and there select adjust for best performance,, now you desk won't be as pretty but you will notice a bit better performance,,

(hmm i need to lay off the caffine)