Reading!

gnume

This subject has come up in Vent so thought I would post something here to continue it a bit more.

I was an avid reader back in the day (i.e., the days before computer gaming) and thought I would share some of the books and series I remember reading and enjoying. I was big into Science Fiction in my High School and younger days and moved on to Fantasy when I started college and got into playing AD&D.

So, here we go in no particular order!

Piers Anthony and his Xanth series of novels...

David Eddings and his two big sagas...The Belgariad and The Malloreon. I remember reading these and frantically waiting for the next one in the series to be printed!

Steven Brust and his Jhereg series of novels about Vlad Taltos. I just loved this world dominated by Class society and this magic power that everyone could tap into ... the teleportation, resurrections unless killed by a Morganti weapon, etc.

L. Ron Hubbard's Battlefield Earth and the Mission Earth series. I know the stigma associated with L. Ron but remember, he was a Science Fiction writer before he started up this Dianetics and Scientology stuff and Battlefield Earth is an amazing book. I truly recommend it. Forget the movie that was supposedly adapted from the book. The only similarities were some names, the title, and time period. That is it...hate that they made that crap and probably have forever turned off someone from even giving it a read.

Another good book by L. Ron is To the Stars. This is a short novel he wrote back in the 50's, easy and quick read. It's about traveling at near light speed and the time dilation effect for the crew but not the universe around them. Quite interesting.

R.A. Salvatore and pretty much all his Forgotten Realms novels, especially those dealing with Drizz't.

Along with R.A., Ed Greenwood's Forgotten Realm books regarding Elminster and his early FR novels that pretty much define the FR universe.

The old MechWarrior (i.e., Battletech) series of novels starting with The Jade Falcon Clan or something like that

Alan Dean Foster (I think) The Spellsinger series

Terry Brooks Shanarra Series

L.E. Modesitt Jr. Soprano Sorceress series

Anne McCaffrey and her Crystal Singer series(Sci-Fi, not Fantasy)--Fullback, these are another series of books with a female lead

and that is all I have time to post at the moment...can't help but think there are some I left off!

hmmm.... lets see...

Star Trek Books, written by a myriad of people

Erin Hunter, Warriors Series

Harry Potter, by J.K. Rowling

anything by Orson Scott Card

Inkheart series by Cornelia Funke

Percy Jackson series, by Rick Riordan (books are so much better than the movie in this case)

and a bunch of other books that i can't really remember right now.....