iPhone jailbreaking (and all cell phone unlocking) made legal

mmchardy

WASHINGTON – Owners of the iPhone will be able to legally unlock their devices so they can run software applications that haven't been approved by Apple Inc., according to new government rules announced Monday.

The decision to allow the practice commonly known as "jailbreaking" is one of a handful of new exemptions from a 1998 federal law that prohibits people from bypassing technical measures that companies put on their products to prevent unauthorized use of copyright-protected material. The Library of Congress, which oversees the Copyright Office, reviews and authorizes exemptions every three years to ensure that the law does not prevent certain non-infringing uses of copyright-protected works.

More info Here

Basically if you have a cellphone and want to "TAKE it With you" when you leave your provider , you may void your warranty but now you wont lose your service or face a lawsuit.

WOO HOO.

:s30::s43::s19::s16:

:s1: Take that AT&T and Verizon . I will be getting that Android and using it on my AT&T now. WOOOHOOO :s5:

dear god why other then a contract would you stay with at&t.... they always went into roming when you leave the city i know my cuz would go roaming when he came to hang out and he basicly couldn't use it unless it was an emergency due to the charges...

besides i'mm not wholely sold on my android i think an iphone might be better just because of how long they have been around to get stable...

and i am still ma that i bought the motorola droid and then they release 2 new droids... not to mention i am still waiting for the update they released a while back... wtf is with the 6 months before you get the newest patch bs?

summery: this would mean i would get a new iphone on the verison network... might not have 4g but if you check out the 3g coverage areas maps you realy can't beat their service...

dear god why other then a contract would you stay with at&t.... they always went into roming when you leave the city i know my cuz would go roaming when he came to hang out and he basicly couldn't use it unless it was an emergency due to the charges...

besides i'mm not wholely sold on my android i think an iphone might be better just because of how long they have been around to get stable...

and i am still ma that i bought the motorola droid and then they release 2 new droids... not to mention i am still waiting for the update they released a while back... wtf is with the 6 months before you get the newest patch bs?

summery: this would mean i would get a new iphone on the verison network... might not have 4g but if you check out the 3g coverage areas maps you realy can't beat their service...

I have gone place where there is no 3g service in AT&T and aside for the time I went out deep into the woods in Colorado I always had Phone Service , I stay to Main urban areas a lot even when I Travel, and overseas their international rates and service is PHENOMENAL, SO much better than it is here in the states. I used my Mobile phone as a web cam and modem at the same time and was still able to send text messages when I was in London.

Verizon does indeed have a better 3g network than AT&T but Dropped calls in 6 years 12 countries 47 states hundreds of cities and towns I have not had one that was not because my battery died.

thats my bigest problem with verison is that when you are doing one thing like talking on a bluetooth headset you can't use the rest of the bandwidth to text or look something up...

my cuz switched to verison and they messed up his plan when he made a change a few months into having the phone and instead of charging him the 300 or so for going over when he called custermer support to explain the plan was not the plan he selected they changes the plan over and didn't charge him any overaches etc...

at&t has gotten up to acceptable on their coverage but if you look at the plans in the past you will find that only covering half of the country in 3g then starting to mix 4g in and starting over in covering the country is nothing new sooner or later it will all get covered but in the us where i have been it always seems to be later...

and yes i use the at&t network since i have a kindle and i can tell you that in the small towns my family lives it never has great connectivity while i never loose 3g in verison.

as for international havent been outa the country since i was like 5... i'm about the only person in my family that has 0 urge to travel so i can't talk on that but i am happy to take your word on the possibility that at&t shines there.

summery: where i and my family live at&t has never lived up to its name but i am not surprised that it does well in other areas where i am not.