Assault on Foreas/In the Aftermath

Heion

Date : November 3rd

Location : Underground Military Hospital just outside of Los Angeles

The doors flung open as another gurney came in with another scourged body came into the infirmary -- Just another amongst the countless many that had been wheeled in within the past 30 minutes. So many that they just started to be carried in without a gurney at all. People began piling up in the hallways, and as we passed, we'd look through the bodies to find the ones able to be saved.

For many, there was little we could do for them other than a sedative to ease the pain of their passing. The wounds were so horrific ...

The entire compound was covered in a bloody canvas that was, to say the least, indescribable.

To see death in such numbers weighed heavily upon our hearts, but we still had to keep our heads up. It was so hard, though ... Not because of the horrifying scenes of death, but, instead, for the constant shake of the ground from the booms of the explosives being set off overhead often left, in it's wake, fallen crash-carts and I.V. stands -- Making it even harder to tend to the wounded.

The worst was yet to come, however ...

As we ran down the hallways after being called outside to the roof of the compound to get a high-ranking official into the compound the ground stopped to quake for a moment.

Maybe it was just the adrenaline from being in such a flurry of panic, but something told me that a catastrophe was about to happen. At first, I hesitated leaving the compound -- I was scared to death! However, seeing my colleauges turn and signal for my hurry, I quickened my pace, finally reaching the compound door.

My head officer imputted a code to open the blast-doors which had been shut off on the roof to prevent "them" (we still didn't know what was going on, or who was bombing us) from getting in. As the doors slid open, a scene like no other opened before my eyes ...

The sky was a deep, crimson red, with no sun to be found. Smoke trails of balistic fire could be seen against the red sky, as well as the trails of tracer rounds, which was, no mistake, from laser cannons.

A thundering fire could be heard as the sky lit up with the explosion of some form of aircraft (I couldn't tell what it was -- Unlike anything I'd ever seen).

We rushed to the copter, but before we could get there, another aircraft entered the immediate airspace (Again, unlike anything I'd seen before) and a bright red light shone from it to the ground. In it's wake it left a band of lobster-like soliders armed with large weapons. As they grunted and scrambled about, shots could be heard coming from the copter as they fired at the aliens.

I turned to run back into the compound, only to find another officer closing the blast doors which kept anyone from accessing the compound.

It was then that I saw a pulse pistol on the the body of a dead officer. I quickly grabbed it and braced myself against one of the walls of the compound -- Glaring at the band of alien soliders headed my way. I quickly took aim at one, and fired off not even two rounds when, in the distance, I was another alien aircraft headed towards me.

From the look of it, I could tell that it wasn't the same kind that had darted in previously. It was much different from the other ships, and much like our own kind of crafts. As I went to fire off another round, the craft began to fire balistics at the group of soliders, just before landing on their dead bodies.

The blast from the balistics shook me to the ground, and I struggled to get myself back up and into a position where I could fire again.

As I took aim again, this time at the new craft, I noticed the letters "AFS" painted on the side of it. The doors burst open, and a group of soliders walked off of the ramp. That's when I knew they weren't enemies ... So, I lowered the pistol, and let it slide to the ground, just before I, myself, slumped to the ground.

I looked down at my watch ... 3:07 A.M. ... I was still in a slight state of delirium from being awoken from my sleep by the frantic screams of the wounded, thinking it was all just a dream. I took the tail of my coat to wipe my brow of sweat, only to find it soaked in blood.

One of the men approached me, and asked my name ...

"Jaren ... Quintaine", I said, still shaken from the events which had transpired.

"We are the Allied Free Sentinels, and we're here to help", said the man ... Obviously human, in some form or another.

I was exhausted, and don't remember anything other than feeling overwhelmingly safe, for once ...

The next thing I remember is waking up in an aircraft and looking out the window to see Earth covered with a crimson smoke, surrounded by many different space-ships. Trails of cannon and balistics fire could easily be spotted. A few of the ships were severely damaged, but most of them the enemies. The AFS ships were leaving the area ...

I looked over at the other passengers aboard the ship ... A few familiar faces amongst them, but not many ... Most of them hidden behind masks and tactical equipment.

A woman came over to me ... Obviously an AFS medic, as she was dressed the part ... And asked if I was alright. I just nodded as she injected me with some sort of medicine.

I couldn't even ask what it was before I blacked out again ...

((Preface : This part of the story takes place between the time Jaren was picked up by the AFS and taken into the dropship (Common known as a "Hedgehog") and the time that Jaren awoke again for just a minute to black-out again. It is written from the perspective of the officer who picked him up and took him to the dropship.))

The young man with long, black hair lay their, slumped over against the blast-doors of the compound which couldn't be opened by any of our own (and they certainly weren't going to open them for us). Just as I went to wake him, another officer called to me ...

"Captain Benson! We have to get out of here! The Bane are right behind us! Hurry up!", I heard, through the sounds of ground-rattling balistics and cannon fire.

So, I bent down and picked the man up ... Slinging him over my shoulders and carrying him to the dropship. There wasn't much we could safely do for the others trapped inside the compound without comprimising ourselves.

As I approached the loading ramp of the Hedgehog, I heard gun-fire behind me. I sat the man down in one of the seats of the ship, and called for the medical attendant to look him over and strap him into the seat ... We were taking off soon.

I turned to see what the gun-fire was about, only to see a squad of Bane soliders heading right for the Hedgehog. As I took out my rifle to start picking them off, I yelled back at the pilot ...

"Get this dammed thing off the ground ... Now!"

And no sooner did I say that when one of my members was struck by the Bane in the upper-right shoulder, knocking him off the ramp, into the ship, onto the floor. Another shot strayed, and struck the threshold of the ramp-door just above my left shoulder.

"Close it up-", I yelled back at the pilot, and before I could even finish, the ramp was closing in on us.

"Safe!", I thought to myself ...

The pilot ordered us to take our seats and to hold onto anything we didn't want to lose ... Including our stomachs. I scrambled to my seat, and strapped myself in. Many of the others (including some other Earth refugees that we had saved earlier in our mission) sat strapped into their seats.

I eyed my remaining squadron ... Eleven I counted out of my original thirteen. My eyes wandered to each of their faces as each one nodded in acknowledgement ... When they came across the seat that Kyle Deepe was occupying ...

"Stryl and Rider!", he yelled at me, trying to make the words audible over the turbulance, "They're the ones missing ..."

I turned my head for a minute and grieved in my own way ... Of course, not showing weakness to the other squadron's members ...

"Let them always be remembered for their efforts on this mission!", I yelled ... Again, trying to be heard across the great turbulance.

The young man I had saved was sitting just across from me, and the other young man (the squad member who had been struck by the Bane) also lay in his seat with some medical bandages strapped across his shoulder and torso. Apparently, the medical attendant didn't have time to properly care for him before we took off -- She would do so later, after we had broken orbit.

Just as I took a sigh of relief, I felt the craft take into it's ascent into space ... Gut-wrenching feeling ...

A few of the other members lost hold of their stomachs, and a few other things rattled around the compartment. Anything that wasn't tied down slammed into the back-door because of our extreme speed.

As we approached the upper-atmosphere, the pilot again yelled back at us ...

"Brace yourselves! We're going to be taking --"

Before he could finish, I could feel the cuncussive force of Bane Anti-Air fire at the rear of the craft. We had been hit by one of their assault-ships.

"Everyone alright back there? We've lost a portion of our shields ... We can't take much more of this beating!", the pilot yelled at us, as he pushed the acceleration shift higher and higher ... Hoping that speed would save us.

As I looked through the viewing-windows, I could see six other Hedgehogs leaving the atmosphered about the same time as we did. One of them didn't make it much further than we did after taking three direct hits from the assault-ship. It exploded, and I could see a few of the larger outer-hull portions float off into space.

"Six left ...", I thought.

We had dodged the last volley of anti-air fire, but another was already headed towards us.

"Bank starboard!", I screamed at the pilot, hoping he would hear me in time enough to avert the fire from the on-coming fire.

We quickly veered, just in time to miss the majority of the fire ... But we still took damage. I looked again, after gathering myself, to see another of the Hedgehogs break up as they reached the outer orbit of Earth ...

"Five left ...", I thought to myself, "Please, let us make it out of here alive."

It was about that time that I saw an A.F.S. cruiser enter the area as it launched a stream of cannon-fire at the assault-ship that was clipping us. As the steady stream of fire launched onwards toward the assault-ship, I noticed it veering to avoid the fire. It didn't turn in time, and the shields took a serious beating.

"This is Admiral Howelle of the A.F.S.S.S. Stalwart. You should be clear of any on-coming fire. Get out of here ... Now!"

Before the comm clicked off, you could hear in the background, behind all of the frantic commands that the Adrmial was giving to the crew and alarms of the ship...

"Fire a balistics volley!"

Just as the Admiral shouted the order, the comm clicked off, and we could hear the sound of A.F.S. missiles darting towards the assault-ship, leaving behind them a trail that clearly spelled the assault-ship's doom. Again, I looked out of the viewing-window to see that the missiles were just approaching the assault-ship ...

The first one struck it's shields, and failed to damage the ship itself. The other two firmly planted themselves in the port-bow of the ship ... Striking the command-center.

Just as the missiles exploded, the ship began to break apart from the inside ... One after another, I could visually see six explosions, followed by one of the climactic, gigantic explosions ... It was ripped to shreds. Nothing but debris was left behind in it's wake.

The assault-ship was caught off-guard with it's pants down while firing at the fleeing dropships ... Meaning it had no time to re-arm it's ship-to-ship assault weapons. It never even got a shot off at the Stalwart, but did manage to take out one last Hedgehog before disentegrating into space-junk.

The pilot opened the comm-channel again to thank the Admiral ...

"All clear! We appreciate the assistance, sir! Good luck out there! O'er and out ..."

As I counted the remaining Hedgehogs (four were left ... not including ourselves), the young man awakened again, just long enough to eye the crew aboard and peer out the viewing-window. The medical attended got out of her seat (we were far out of orbit and past the gravity-pull of the Earth for it to be safe) and went over to the young man, who's name I found to be Jaren Quintaine (I think he said) and give him an injection to aid in his recovery.

After she injected him, he fell back to sleep, and she went to tend to the other members wound.

"It's not that bad ... I should be able to patch that up right here, sir.", she said as she peeled back the restraits from the solider, and then un-wrapped his wound.

I called to the pilot ... "Send a comm-message to the others left on Earth ... Get them into that compound! Those people are still safe and need to be rescued."

Just afted the pilot had finished sending the message the pilot got another comm transmission ...

"All A.F.S. ships housing refugees are to report immediately to Foreas! Repeat ..."

And as the comm-link clicked off, the pilot turned us to the direction of Foreas, and I nodded off into sleep ... Knowing the long trip ahead of us.

Twenty-seven hours later, we landed at the A.F.S. base at Foreas ...

((Preface : This part of the story takes part about 4 months after Jaren Quintaine is taken to Foreas (which was 8 months after the invasion began) and saved from the invasion of Earth by the A.F.S.))

It was cold ... and dark.

An overwhelming sense of despair surrounded me. I could almost hear the cries and screams of many in the background -- They faded in and out of audible range ... Never seeming to really reach a point where I could really hear them.

I was back on Earth, in what I could only imagine was the aftermath of the invasion. The once crimson sky had turned into a dark, grey clound looming over the shattered remains of a once great planet.

Looking to the horizon, the sun was now no more than a faded ring of light ... No longer did it shine with radiance. It hovered over the scarred trees, and gave the sky an eerie glow of light.

I walked about the area looking down at the impacts that balistics fire and cannons had left in the ground, and again looked up to see a familiar sight -- The blast-door to the underground compound I was in during the attack. It was narely entirely open, and looked as if it had been opened with a great force. Only a small section remained closed, leaning ajar.

A rock was in my path, and not seeing it, I tripped and fell to the ground. I threw my arms in front of me to brace my fall ... Not that it helped much, as I had fallen right into an impact crater left from balistics fire.

After getting up and brushing myself off from the ash and soot, I looked up again. This time, I was somewhere else. Somewhere that was very familiar to me -- The underground compound's O.R.

I could feel the ground shaking beneath me as everyone was frantically scrambling about the hospital. It was then that I saw a familiar face ...

That of Dr. Edward Benette -- A colleauge of mine, and a good friend. We had attended the same medical school, and even lived in the same dorm back at the University.

I reached out to grab him by the shoulder and tell him that we had to get out of there ... now!

But as my hand neared his shoulder, it just slipped right through him, and he continued on, as if I wasn't there. I has an almost ethereal feeling ... More and more people passes by, rushing to help the wounded.

It was then that I turned to see the blast-doors being braced by a squad of military units. The door wasn't holding very well ... It just seemed to crumple like tin-foil.

It was silent for a moment, and the ground stopped shaking ...

The prominent scream of what was likely an enemy bomber could be heard, even underground, coming from overhead.

A great blast was heard, and the blast-door was blown open with such an indescribable force ... Unlike anything I'd ever seen before. All of the medical staff rushed from the door screaming as another squad of military units jogged in the opposite direction and to what remained of the blast-doors.

As the dust settled, red lights could be seen entering the hallway.

Then, an uncountable number of shots could be heard coming into the hallway ... They were here.

I ran with the others back into the hallways to the elevators that lef deeper into the compound when I again saw Dr. Benett.

A few frantic individuals rapidly pressed the elevator buttons as the group of alien soliders drew closer and closer to them. The elevator just wasn't working ... The great quakes of the bombs had, no doubt, broke the elevator shafts -- Trapping everyone in the floors below.

The group of soliders seemed to have left ... And a great sigh of relief could be heard amongst the crowd. It was then that, again, we could see the red beams of their weapons around the corner of the hallway, heading towards us.

The lights went off, and we were silent ... You could only hear the panting of a young woman in the back of the crowd as she tried to mute her wimpers.

The soliders must have heard her ... They jumped seemingly from nowhere when they took aim at us and began firing. Great lights came from their weapons, and as they swept across the group to my side, the light blinded me.

That's when I felt another great quake.

I woke from my sleep to find myself gasping for air. I wiped the sweat from my face before looking at my clock ... 4:45 A.M. I tried to calm myself from the panic that I had been in, when again, I felt another quake.

There was no question ... This was real.

It was then that an AFS solider running down the hallway noticed me still in my bunk.

"Get out here, solider! The Bane are assaulting the surrounding base! We have to move, move, move!", he shouted at me, as I gathered myself in uniform and readied my medical equipment.

"I'm coming! I'm coming!", I shouted back, just as I left the threshold of the door.

I quickly ran down the hallway, still in a panic from the dream I had ... To see my best friend die was almost unbearable for me to fathom. Still, I knew it was just a dream ... Maybe he made it out of the compound as well.

I shook the thoughts from my head as I neared the end of the hallway to see my commanding officer and reported for duty.

The sounds of air-crafts over-head could be clearly heard, even in the thick-walled halls of the barracks. The thundering of their crashing to the ground, along with the constant bombardment of the area, caused great panic in getting everone to the front lines and into battle.

It was just before dawn, and the Forean sun was yet to peer over the scarred landscape.

"You! Quintaine!", shouted an officer, gesturing at me to report to him.

"Reporting for duty, sir! Where am I needed?", I questioned.

"With us ... To the fortified walls. We need to make sure the Bane don't get into the base!", he shouted over the loud thump and thunder of the oncomming assault.

We hurried through the hallways to the exit of the barrack. As we approaced the doors, a familiar sight greeted me ... That of the Bane. They were in great number above the skies. Many assault ships could be seen, even from the ground, inbound to Foreas. None of the A.F.S. ships were yet in the air ... The pilots were just boarding their ships, no doubt, still wiping the sand from their eyes in preperation for the battle ahead.

It was 5:00 A.M. ... The sun was just peering it's sundering rays over the horizon, bathing the sky in an orange glow.

More and more soliders poured out of the other barracks and rushed into their positions. Gun-fire could be heard ringing out from the walls firing at the enemy aircrafts, and as the turrets fired at incoming fighters you could see the bright tracer rounds glide through the air and into their targets.

Bane dropships quickly darted in and out of the area, leaving behind large squadrons of Thrax soliders. As they darted off, the troops along the base of the wall took strides towards the attackers, leaving few to remain behind. As they fought off the Bane, an overwhelming sense came over me ... The same that I had felt back on Earth -- That of despair and desperation.

Our squad scrambeled into position on the walls above the soon-to-be-near Bane troops. We set up our weapons, and readied ourselves. Our commanding Captain prepared us with a short brief ...

"I am Captain Garlen, your squad leader. This is the situation ... The Bane are at our doorstep -- Not knocking ... Instead, prying the door open. Our mission at the current is to hold the western wall. We are to protect this base at all costs until all the Bane are thrwated!"

He pointed to the sky, now almost entirely lit by the rising sun, towards the oncoming fleet of Bane assault-ships...

"If they get here before the Bane on the ground are destoryed ... We're in deeper than we are already."

As he ended his talk, he turned towards the soon-to-be battlefield ... Eyeing it's rocky terrain. Not second after, another Predator fell to the ground from turret fire. As more and more soliders poured out of the gates and along the wall, cheers were heard from the downing of another Bane.

The time was 5:14 A.M., and just as I looked down at my watch, the A.F.S. ships were airbourne and ready to attack the incoming Bane Predators and Dropships. They quickly took off, and darted into the sky, chasing their target down, and insuring that they didn't take the lives of anymore ground troops.

A number of the first ships were shot down quickly, and more and more ships poured out of the base ... They were strong in their numbers, now, and could stand a much better fight.

It was then that I heard shots fired at the base of the wall ... More Bane were at the base of the wall. A few of my squad members took a stray shot or two ... Nothing serious ... Until, of course, a Predator hovered along the perimeter of the wall. It was shooting down our soliders left and right. This one made it past the turret's defenses, and was now only vulnerable to the A.F.S. airships ...

It got closer and closer to our squadron ... It was nigh upon us. Even though the soliders had been firing at it, it remained mostly unscathed. As I ducked down to avoid it's spray of fire, I heard an explosion ...

I looked up to see two A.F.S. ships quickly dart by ... They had destroyed the off-guard Predator, and it fell to pieces upon the wall.

"Quintaine! Get down there and check on those soliders, now! Make sure they're alright!", screamed Captain Garlen, motioning me down to length of the wall.

I quickly gathered my medical discs and took off down the wall. Most of the medics had been taken out, and many of the soliders were wounded. As I quickly took to healing them, another Predator was headed my way ... On a collision course for the wall I was standing on. It had been shot down by A.F.S. ships, but hadn't been completely destroyed.

I stood in utter terror ... Watching as it got closer and closer. It seemed like an eternity ... But, in reality, was only seconds.

As it impacted the wall, I was thrown off-balance, and I plummeted to the dusty sand below. As I fell down, still watching as the Predator exploded as it hit the wall I thought to myself ...

"It's over ... I lose ..."

Or so I thought.

As I fell from the wall, I flipped to look down ... A brace placed on the wall was just below me. It was slanted enough to allow me to roll off of it safely back to the ground. I hit it with a strong force, but I hadn't been falling for long, so I hadn't reached a lethal speed. I slid down the slanted ramp-like brace all the way to to terra-firma ...

"Saved!" ... A thought that ran through my mind.

I coughed and grumbled as I gathered myself to get back up and beat the dirt off of me. I looked up to see the impact left by the Predator, and looked towards the front-lines.

"I've got to get out there ... They need my help. They can't hold their own down there.", I thought.

Surely, Garlen thought me to be dead ... He saw the Predator hit the wall beneath me head on, and also saw me lose balance and fall from the wall.

As I ran from the base of the ramp to the front-lines, I saw a small group of soliders taking heavy fire from the Bane. With no-one on the walls to cover them, they were in serious trouble. I rushed to them with all the strength I had in me ... Trying my best to get to them before all of them fell to the Bane.

As I neared them, their officer caught eye of me, and his look of despair flushed from his eyes. I broke into the middle of their formation, and quickly set-up to help them. I hastily tended to those currently under fire, then turned my attention to those on the ground and seriously wounded. I could save only a few of them ...

They continued to fire at the Bane, taking them out, one at a time, until they were all cleared.

Their Captain was immediately apparent to me ... He stood very tall, and had a very muscular build. He stood inches above myself ... I'd say at least six foot five inches. You couldn't see his hair, as he wore a helmet with a blue sun-visor covering, but you could see through it to his rough face. He had hazel eyes, and his left cheek was scarred from what was obviously a slash. He had a gruffy, blonde beard, and you could tell that he hadn't shaved in a while.

"Your timing could've been better, solider...", said the Captain, as he looked down at me tending to the wounded, "...but we're glad your here!"

As he said that, each of the soliders nodded in agreement.

"I'm Captain Tyson. Name and rank, solider!", he demanded.

"Jaren Quintaine -- Private, sir!", I responded.

"Well, welcome to the squad. We're moving ahead to the battle-front, so prepare youself ...", said Tyson.

"Alright. Though, I've never been in a battle before, so ...", I said, before Tyson interjected ...

"Son, there's lots of newcommers around ... Quickly! We got to go, hustle!"

I gathered myself as we headed off to the very battle-front ... Where the thick of the battle was. I was still relieved that my life was still intact, and I wasn't dead. My first real encounter with the Bane was ... Somehow ... Gratifying. I was finally fighting the monsters that drove us from Earth.

A.F.S. ships could be seen in the distance, still in dog-fights with the Predators in the air. More and more Bane dropships left squadrons behind, as they left again to the Bane fleet now in the sky.

It was 5:42 A.M., and by now, the entire sky was lit by the sun.

We arrived at the front lines, and now under constant barrage from the Band troops. They fell by the numbers, but we also took considerable losses. As myself and the other medics scrambled about, tending to the wounded, I glanced again to the sky to see the assault-ships nearly in-range of firing at the base.

It was then that I saw the most horrific scene of the day. Not ten meteres away from me was another medic, tending to one of the injured soliders of their squad. I looked to the sky to see something falling from the sky, headed right for the medic, and his squad.

"Get out of the -- !!"

Before I could even finish, the object had impacted the land, leaving a small crater, and sending a shockwave to the surrounding area ... Killing the entire squad.

I thought it was over ... But it wasn't ...

From the crater, I saw something rising ... Like the dome or crest with Bane-hued plating. It rose higher and higher, and I was fixxed at it's ascent. It eventually rose to it's peak, and I looked down it's length to see it's three, colossal legs.

"Stalker!!", shouted one of my squad members.

As he turned to fire, so did the rest of the squad.

"Take it down!", commanded Tyson, pointing as he fired his rifle.

Before it could even move towards the squad, it turned it's dome-shaped head towards us. It opened fire, and bolts of what looked like lightning coming from a small sphere under it's dome darted towards my squad, striking one of the soliders.

I scrambled to the solider, healing him as quickly as possible.

"Aim at the Plasma Egg!", said Tyson, pointing at the small sphere under it's dome.

The entire squad took fire at it, and not seconds after it fell to the ground, along with the Stalker. It crashed into the ground with a resounding thud ... Sending a sense of victory over the squad.

The Stalker had been destroyed ... We beat it! An overwhelming sense of accomplishment flushed over the entire squad, giving us a morale boost like no other.

I looked at my watch again ... It was 6:16 A.M.

Tyson received a radio ... We were to fall back to the wall, and await further instructions. We had cleared the surface of most of the Bane, but the Bane assault-ships were getting closer and closer to Foreas ... And with them, they brought many more countless Bane.

The battle was far from over ...

As we grew closer to the base, we could hear the cheers and chants of victory from the other soliders. When we entered the gates, another officer greeted us ...

"Welcome back, Captain Tyson.", said the officer.

"Good to be back, and in one piece, Captain Morsen, sir!", said Tyson, as he saluted the other officer -- The rest of us following suit.

"All soliders are to take a ten-minute reprieve, gather the supplies they need, and return to the briefing hall A.S.A.P.", informed Morsen.

"Sir, yes sir!". confirmed Tyson, again saluting. Again, we followed suit, then took to our own ways to prepare.

The first thought running through my mind was getting into a new uniform and resupplying my medical utlities. I would've liked a drink, but I figured that would've been rather irresponsible of me ... Heading into combat and all.

After prepping, I made my way to the briefing hall to receive instructions from the Commander, but just before I reached the entrance, a fellow medic of mine interrupted my determined jostle ...

It was Eris ... A medic-friend of mine whom I went through basic-training with. She was a slender-figured woman, with short, brunette hair that seemed randomly styled ... Almost as if she had just awakened. She stood at just about my height at five-foot-eight. I was just two years older then her ... Myself being twenty-eight, and Eris being twenty-six.

When it came to her skills as a medic, she was just as good as I was (which, at the time, wasn't that great ... we were both refugees from Earth), if not better in some instances.

"Quintaine! Quintaine!", she shouted, while jumping up and down, waving to get my attention.

I saw her frantic attempt at getting my attention, and asked her what the problem was ...

"I think something is wrong with my medical discs ... Could you take a look at it for me, please?", she asked ...

I looked down at my watch ... Just three minute before the briefing began, but I couldn't deny her help ... For, if I did, surely it would cost lives.

"Sure! Quickly, now, hand it over!", I demanded, in a hasty tone.

As she handed it to me, I didn't motice any immediate problems ... But I was no expert on the things -- I just knew how to use them. Besides ... I was going to be late if I didn't hurry -- And I didn't want that.

"I don't see anything wrong with it. Quickly, now, Eris!", I exclaimed to her, as I handed it back over to her.

"Don't be late!", I shouted to her, as I left her.

By now, the Bane assault-ships were nearly upon us ... Just outside the range of our surface-to-ship cannons. Engineers scrambeled around them ... Prepping them for the assault. Making sure that they worked, and were loaded. They were one of our biggest assets in this coming time.

As I entered the briefing hall, I found a corner that wasn't yet occupied, and set myself there to listed to the Commander. It was one of the last seats left ... Everyone else would have to stand shoulder-to-shoulder to get into the hall. I could see Eris entering the room just then, as she searched for a seat; there were none to be found, and she was forced to stand.

Just as the last few soliders entered, the doors were shut, and the Commander entered the stage to give us a briefing. He was a tall man, with short, dark-gray hair, and a commanding demeanor. His presence on the stage silenced the entire room -- Even to the slightest whispers. Though I had never seen or met the man, I felt an immense respect for him.

"Fellow soliders of the A.F.S., you know the situation at hand, no doubt. The Bane assault-ships are just before reaching attack-range of the base. ", addressed the Commander.

Just as a he finished, a hologram projection appeared above him, detailing the planet's surface, the base's location, and the assault-ship positions.

"The base is to be closed off, and the gates shut. We are to defend the surface-to-ship cannons at all cost. Our main weakness will be aerial dropships leaving behind squadrons of Bane, as well as Stalker-Comets once the assault-ships are in range of the planet."

Again, the hologram flashed, and another hologram appeared, showing the position of the cannons, as well as choke-points for the Bane troops.

"An A.F.S. fleet is in-bound to aid us in defeating the Bane assault-ships, but they're not expected to arrive for at least four more hours. We are to hold the base until then. That is all ... Good luck."

As the Commander finished his briefing, he turned to walk from the stage. When he neared the off-ramp, I could see him meet another high-ranking officer. They leaned into each other, and must have spoken. At that point, soliders were already scuffling to get out of the hall, and move into their positions inside the base.

I looked at my watch as I left the hall ... 6:40 A.M.

"Just a few hours ... How hard could it be?", I thought to myself ...

As we left from the briefing hall, the Bane assault-ships were now right above us ... You could see the dropships leave the docks of the ship, headed right for the base. They would be the brunt of their ground attacks, as they left behind squadron after squadron of Thrax soliders inside the compound.

It was an incredibly terrorizing sight to behold ... Seeing what would likely mark the end of many lives. I determined to do whatever I could to lessen the loss, but I knew that I alone couldn't do it.

There were at least eight other medics in thirteen other squads (consisting anywhere from five to eight members each) that were mobilized inside the base. We were quite short on our medical technicians, and the Commander was currently working on the situation.

I had been assigned to Captain Tyson's squad (the same one that I had been in earlier that morning), and we had been sent to the middle of the base to hold off the Bane that would be left behind from the dropships in droves. I was extremely nervous about the task ... But in killing the Bane, I would also be stopping them from killing others.

As our squad rushed to our assigned location, Tyson began to address us, giving us our orders, as well as a small pep-talk. He had gone through each of the other squad members, one by one, giving them their own orders as we neared our location. He came to me, and gave me my orders ...

"Quintaine, I know you haven't been fighting for long, but we won't be the only ones counting on you this morning. Should the other squadrons in the vicinity need medical assistance, be sure to attend to them as well.", he said to me, just as we got into our positions.

"I'll do my best, sir!", I responded to him, as I set up and prepared my medical equipment, eyeing the other squadrons in the area.

The squads in the area numbered four ... Including ours. We were each spread out, about 70 meters away from each other. Not a long distance, but still ... Quite a run if I needed to run to any of the others. We were defending one of the three surface-to-ship cannons that were placed in the compound ... The other's each having the same number of squads defending them ... four.

Eris, my fellow medic who I had ran into just before the briefing, was with her squad, and was one of two others in the vicinity. Her squad consisted of eight members, while mine was only six. She had quite a load on her hands, and would likely need my assistance at some point, should the fights get too thick.

The rest of my squad set up there combat equipment ... Three of them being ranged specialists, one of them a close-combat specialist (Captain Tyson), and the last a balistics specialist (you know ... boom!).

As I finished setting up, I looked down and eyed my watch ... 6:55 A.M. The sun was out in full-force ... It was just above the horizon, and it's rays glared off the metallic plating of the surface-to-ship cannons which we were sent to defend. The rays were so bright, that I had to pull out my sun-goggles to shade my eyes from them. The rest of the team followed suit.

The dropships were now inbound, and the A.F.S. ships were in the air, ready to take down all the dropships they could. The turrets were armed and ready, as well. There were few Predators inbound ... Most of them were destroyed in the last fight.

Just as the dropships swarmed to the surface, the sound of the surface-to-ship cannons firing could be heard as they launched what would be our only offensive measured against the assault-ships for the next three hours.

The A.F.S. ships took to the skies, and quickly took to downing the dropships, but there were just too many to destroy. I counted at least six making it past them, as they dropped off their little Bane-packed packages.

The squads in the area quickly took to shooting them down. Tyson rushed to the frontlines as he powered up his plasma-sword and took to hacking away. Gun fire flew by him, barely missing him, and driving back the Bane with every impact.

I turned to see Eris having her hands full with keeping her squad alive. I glanced at our own squad, to see if there was any wound to tend, but there wasn't ... So I rushed to her area to aid them.

Little did I know that a Thrax solider spotted me taking my leave to their squad.

"Quintaine! Watch out!", shouted Tyson, as he struggled with the Bane, trying to make his way the the troop currently firing at me.

I heard him, just in time to turn and see the oncoming gun-fire, and veered to the right ... Just missing a lethal shot. I was still hit, however, in my left arm. Nothing serious ... But it hurt like hell as I hit the ground. Tyson quickly took to chopping the Bane down, as the rest of the squad continued their volleys on the other groups.

I struggled to get back up, but as soon as I got my balance, I took straight to Eris' squad ... Some were in pretty bad shape, but again, nothing that Eris and I couldn't handle. We got them back on their feet, and then I saw it ...

Multiple Stalker-Comets were headed right for the compound. I counted at least three from their trails.

"I've gotta get back to them!", I said to Eris, as I rushed back to tend to my own squad ... A few of them had sustained fire in my absense.

Just before I reached my squad, the Stalker-Comets had hit the ground and sent a resounding thud over the entire base, shaking us to the core, and knocking my medical equipment over.

The entire area lit up with balistics fire being launched at their "Plasma Eggs". At least three rockets were fired at each one; some missing their targets and instead striking their armor-plated domes of massive legs. Two of the fell almost immediately, sending another great boom throughout the base.

As the quake has subsided, the balstic's specialists began to reload in order to fire another volley at the last remaining Stalker. Though not all of them needed to be fired in order to destroy it ... Sure enough, the sky was again lit by about fifteen rockets headed straight for it.

One after the other, they struck the Stalker. Many of them hitting it's thick dome, others striking the legs and egg, and some missing entirely, left to skip through the sky and land on some unexpecting Bane.

It exploded almost immediately. It didn't stand a chance against that much fire. All that was left after the fire cleared was one of it's massive legs, which soon fell over to the ground.

Quite a sight to see ... Almost awe-inspiring, but also seriously overkill. Then again ... You know how the balistic's specialists are ... "Bigger the boom! the better", they say, and that was one dammed big boom.

In the meanwhile, the A.F.S. ships were struggling to keep up with the dropships as they poured onto the base, leaving more and more Bane for us to defend the cannons from. Still, the cannons hadn't been hit ... Yet.

As the balistics specialists reloaded and readied for the next Stalker, I took to mending my squad ... Tyson had taken a few hits, and a few stray bullets had struck the others. It wasn't long before they were back on to firing full-force.

I looked up again to Eris' squad ... She was in deep, this time. Almost her entire squad had been seriously injured. I immediately dropped what I was doing and rushed to her squad as quickly as possible ... They weren't looking good ... At all.

I pulled out my A.F.S. Pistol, and readied myself in the event I needed to defend myself.

I came up to Eris, and started to tend to her wounds first ... Then to the others. The Thrax were thick in this area, and I didn't know if we could last much longer. We just couldn't keep up with the Bane!

I took aim with my pistol as Eris continued to assist the others ... One at a time, I took rapid fire to the Bane. It took me quite a few shots to kill any of them, as my small pistol couldn't penetrate their thick armor very well. I had killed about three of them when I turned back to aid Eris.

"Quintaine!", she shouted, just loudly enough to be heard over the cannon-fire, "My discs aren't working properly!"

"What?! Quick, trade with me ...", I said, thinking that maybe she wasn't using them correctly.

I took to trying to tend to the wounds of the squad members, but, just as she said, the discs just weren't working...

"Dammit!", I thought ... "This is all my fault! I had told her that those medical discs were in working order!"

We quickly swapped discs again, and I addressed her ...

"Eris! Run to the medical facility and grab another set of discs! Quickly, go!", I yelled, as she took to my order.

As she ran to the medical facility, I took again to healing the wounds. I glanced again to my squad ... They were taking heavy fire as well.

I glanced down at my watch once again ... 7:24 A.M. ... It would be at least another two-and-a-half hours before the fleet arrived. I really didn't know if we could hold up like this ...

The assault-ships were taking little damage from our surface-to-ship cannons, and our air forces still couldn't keep up with the dropship arrivals. At most, only one of the assault-ship's shields were damage to less-than-half.

Not to mention my arm still burned like hell from my previous battle-wound. I hadn't had the time to stop and tend to my own, minor wound. If I had, I would've fallen behind in keeping now, what had been one, two squad operational.

This wasn't looking good ...

But we still kept fighting ... It was all we could do. I looked down at my watch again ... 7:59 A.M. Just two more hours of this fight before we were in the clear.

Captain Tyson received a radio, as well as every other officer in the area ...

"Fall back to the compound's inner-wall and courtyard, rally there, and prepare the defenses!", was pretty much what the command entailed, including the discontinued fire of the cannons (they were mostly innefective at this range).

What was left of the four squads in our area broke formation, and each made their way through the Bane and back to the inner-wall, where most of the compound's vital facilities were located.

We could form a much better wall of defense there, as the walls would provide us with much-needed cover, and the choke-point would created a bottle-neck for the Bane to pass through, giving us an easy firing-area. The turrets lining the walls would also give us a great advantage, that would've been unused otherwise.

Our squads didn't even bother to return fire at the Bane which were attacking us while we retreated to the new location. We were the furthest away from the new designated defense point, meaning we would be the last to arrive ... Bringing behind us a trail of many hundred Bane soliders.

As we neared the last leg of our path, I was, again, the unlucky target of Bane fire ... This time, my upper-right thigh was hit. I stopped mid-air from my run and fell to the ground. I thought that I was now just cannon-fodder for the Bane, but before I could even look up, I felt a great force pull me into the air ...

It was Captain Tyson pulling me up by the back of my medic's uniform. As he struggled to sling me over his shoulders, he grumbled and continued to run towards the gate, of course, at a slower pace now.

"Dam you, Quintaine! I guess I owe you this though, don't I?", Tyson jested, as we entered the safety of the inner-walls.

Just as we entered, I could see all twelve remaining squads prepared to have a field-day with the approaching Bane -- They would break upon the wall like water on a cliff-side ... Only to be tossed back into the endless sea.

Tyson dropped me down at the medical facility, and left me to the medics awaiting the wounded there. They quickly took to tending my two wounds, and bandaged my arm up and placed a splint on my leg. I was sent back into the fray after that ...

Before I left, I turned to the medical attendant ...

"Did Private Eris ever get her new medical discs?", I questioned ...

The medical attendant turned to me in a puzzled look ...

"No. Eris never came back for new medical discs ... Should she have?", he asked.

It was then that the thought of Eris dying as she fled to the medical facility passed through my mind ... By my "order" ... Not her officer's.

"No ... I guess she didn't afterall.", I replied to the attendant, and continued out of the facility.

As I hobbled from the medical facility, I glanced down at my watch ... 8:46 A.M. ... Wasn't long now before the fleet would arrive. Still, the thought on my mind at the current was that of Eris ... What could've happened to her? Was it my fault? Would I face punishment?

So many questions loomed in my mind, but as I saw the battle from the view of the facility, they all dissipated, and I returned to find my squad.

The Bane were shooting from outside the walls, trying to pick off the rangers holding position in their line-of-sight. Many Bane bodies lay scattered inside the walls ... They didn't make it very far inside before being ripped apart. They had wisened up, but were still taking a beating.

The rest of the battle was rather bland ... Nothing interesting happened, so I'll spare you the bore of detailing it.

By the time I looked at my watch again, it was nearing the estimated arrival time for the fleet. Words were spoken amongst the great crowd of soliders about the coming relief forces.

Five minutes later, we looked to the sky to see five A.F.S. Cruisers drop from space and being bombarding the assault-ships. They turned their attention from us to the immediate threat of the Cruisers. The steady stream of Bane dropships had been haulted, and we were left to kill the remaining ground forces.

I looked again to my watch ... 10:00 A.M. ... The fight on the ground drew to a close, and the assault-ships were beginning their retreat, only to find themselves a quick kill for the Cruisers. We were safe once again.

A feeling of relief drafted over the entire compound as we wandered about, looking for any stray Bane to finish off. However, for me, another feeling loomed over my head ... That of Eris. What had happened to her?

I took it upon myself to seach for her amongst the corpse-addled compound. I searched for her frantically ... No one had seen her since she left for the medical facility.

My head would be on the chopping-block if I couldn't find her ... Not only that, but I would have the guilt of killing not only an A.F.S. Medic on my mind, but also a friend ...

((Preface : This chapter takes place immediately after the "Assault on Foreas" chapters, and it will detail the discovery of Eris, the missing medic, and the events to follow. This will be the ending point of the story so far until I am picked up by the RaF.))

I had already been back to the infirmary to have the few wounds I had taken care of, but quickly returned back to searching for Eris ...

As we searched through the corpses, we began to pile the carcasses in a massive mound. Our main objective was to find the soldiers that went missing during the battle. Which included Eris, a dear friend of mine, who went missing after I sent her to the madical facilities without authority.

We had searched for hours, and the pile of bodies rose too high to continue stacking. So we had to start multiple piles ... They numbered four, and each rose to around the same height -- About seven feet high. We hadn't yet found the last missing solider, Eris.

I grew more and more anxious to find her ... Hoping with every ounce of my humanity that she'd be alive. I was drained from the battle, and grew weary in my search for her body.

I neared the trail leading from our postion to the inner-walls when I heard a moan coming from the East.

"Uuugh ... S-s-s .... Mmm ... One ... H-h-he-l-p meee ..."

I rushed to the area from where I heard it come from. I tossed aside the corpses, to find an A.F.S. Medical Disc amongst the charred remains. I knew I was close.

As I turned over one of the Thrax soliders, I saw her ...

She was severely wounded, almost unrecognizable. Her hair was bloodied, and her right eye was shut, as her face was so swollen.

"I found her!! WE NEED MEDICAL TEAM OVER HERE, STAT!", I shouted, as I rolled the rest of the Bane off of her mangled body, trying my best to keep my breath.

As I finished rolling the Thrax off of her body, I beheld the horror of her wounds. They were deep, and would surely take the life of any average Medic -- She was a fighter. Two officers came up to me, and bent down to pick her up ...

"No! Don't touch her!", I scolded at them, "Don't move her ... Wait for the medical team. We don't know the extent of her damage."

They stopped just in time, and I knelt down above her head. I looked her in eyes. I placed my hand beneath her head, lifting it up slightly from the ground ... Trying to get the blood to rush from her head.

"I'm so sorry, Eris!", I thought ... "So sorry ... So sorry ..."

I burst into tears. They fell from my eyes and ran down my dirty cheek, leaving trails of white as they picked up the soot.

The medical team had just arrived, and I stood back up to allow them access to her body. They placed her on a stretcher carefully, and carried her off towards the medical facility, where she would hopefully ... "Recover".

"I wonder why she was out here in the first place, so far from her squad.", questioned one of the officers who rushed to my call, just as the turned back to return to the barracks.

But I knew why she was out here ... I told her to abandon her position and get new medical discs ... It was my fault. Hopefully, though, she would survive ... That was the only thought coursing through my mind as I rushed back to the medical facilities to aid her in her recovery.

I entered the infirmary to hear the familiar sounds of doctors and surgeons calling commands in the O.R. ... From the sound of it, Eris was the one they were attending to. I peeked my head into the room, but one of the medical attendant addressed me...

"You can't be back here! Please, leave immediately.", he said to me.

"Can I just ask if she's going to be o.k.?", I questioned.

"That's a matter if you get your *butt* out of here and let us get back to our work!", he snapped, closing the medical-curtain as he walked off.

I left for the waiting room, and waited ... And waited. I must have nodded off in the meanwhile ...

It was nearly three hours before the same medical attendant who had snapped at me earlier walked into the room.

"You're the one waiting on Eris, aren't you?", he asked me, as I brushed the sand from my eyes.

"Yes, I am. Is she alright?!", I quickly asked, standing up to receive the news.

"Well, she's alive, but ..."

"--But what?!", I interjected.

"Well, if you'd let me finish ...", quiped the attendant.

"Yes, yes ... Sorry. Go ahead."

"She's alive ... For now. We don't know if she will make it through the night -- It's out of our hands now.", he replied.

"Can I see her?", I asked.

"I don't think it's best for the patient right now ...", he said, just as two of my commanding Officers entered the room.

"I'm sorry. You should return to the barracks and get some rest -- It's been a long day I have to go ....", he said, as he walked towards the officers.

I was tired ... So I decided to take his advice and return to the barracks, wash up, change, and get some rest.

As I walked from the room and passed the two officers, they turned to look at me, and continued their walk to the attendant.

They began to speak just as I left the medical facility and took my walk to the barracks ... I looked down at my watch ...

8:53 P.M.

"Damn, what a long day.", I thought to myself, "I hope Eris pulls through ... For both our sakes ..."

After I had finished cleaning up, I went to my bunk and crawled onto my bed. I tossed and turned, trying to sleep, but I kept invisioning Eris' bloodied body ... And couldn't shake the thought of it from my mind.

What really made things worse was that it was my fault it happened in the first place ... Not only once was it my fault, but twice! I had told her that her medical discs were fine, then I had given her an un-authorized order which, of course, resulted in this whole mess.

As much as I tried to bar the thoughts from my head, I couldn't sleep at all that night. I turned to look at my watch which I had strapped to the bars on my bed ... 4:57 A.M. We would be getting up soon.

Just as I sat up and turned to the side, letting my feet brush against the cold floor, an officer walked into the bunk.

"Which one of you is Quintaine? Jaren Quintaine!", demanded the officer.

I brushed the sand from my eyes, and looked to the officer ...

"I'm Quintaine.", I replied.

"You are to report to the briefing hall. Though, you should probably get into uniform, first, solider.", he said, as he pointed at my pajama bottoms.

"Yes sir!"

I cleaned up and got into uniform and headed to the briefing hall. I knew what this was about ... They were going to investigate Eris' incident. Probably going to question my squad, as well as the two others who were in closest to us.

As I entered the briefing hall, I looked around for the rest of my squad, but I was the first to arrive, apparently. Not seconds after, Tyson walked into the hall.

"Good morning, Tyson, sir!", I said, greeting the tired Captain.

"Morning private.", he replied, yawning as he took a seat next to me, "No one else here, yet?"

"No, sir. Just us so far. The others should be here soon.", I replied.

"You look like *crap*, private.", said the Captain, chuckling.

I laughed. "Didn't sleep last night, sir.", I responded.

He was right, though ... I had dark circles around my eyes, and my face was flushed and pale. Not like my normal self at all. Even my hair was showing signs of sleep deprivation. It had been over twenty-four hours since I had gotten any sleep.

Not two minutes later the rest of the tired squad poured in, followed by Eris' squad Captain and the remaining of their members. The other squad took seat a row above us, and the rest of our squad joined us in the row in which we sat.

The Commander walked into the hall ... Ready as ever he had been. We stood and saluted him as he walked to the podium on the stage. Once he stopped at the podium and saluted back, we took our seats again.

"Good morning, soliders. Quite a day, hmm?", jested the Commander, giving an ear-to-ear smile.

The entire room gave an expectant "Hmph!".

"You all know why we're here today -- To investigate the incedant concerning Eris Monroe, and the events leading to her current condition.", addressed the Commander.

I slumped back into my chair.

"Can one of the Captains please explain the situation at the time of her dissapearance?", asked the Commander.

Just then, Tyson and the other officer stood and gave their accounts of the situation at the time. They both included that Eris was having difficulties keeping her squad alive, and that I had been a go-between for both squads.

The other officer commented that Eris had complained that her medical discs weren't working properly.

"I see ... Thank you, sirs. You may be seated.", said the Commander.

They both returned to their seats.

Just then, another man entered the hall from behind the stage and walked to the Commander. He was the same man whom the Commander has spoken to after the briefing before the assault. They traded words, and the Commander nodded.

"It appears that Eris has awoken, and given her testimony of the events.", said the Commander.

I flushed even paler than before, and began to shake in my seat.

"She said that when she was attending to a fallen solider that her medical discs had malfunctioned, and that she had took it upon herself to leave the battle and return them to the medical facility. After that, she couldn't remember what happened", said the Commander.

"Why would she lie?", I thought to myself ...

"However", continued the Commander, "The loss of Private Eris will be felt amongst us all. She died last night, about two hours after speaking with our officers. Her memorial will be held later this evening, and you are all expected to attend. Until then, you have the day off. You are all dismissed."

Before I had time to stand and request permission to speak, the Commander had already left the stage, and the entire room rose to their feet and walked out of the hall.

I was shaken to the core ... Eris had died last night. She was my best friend in the A.F.S., and I didn't know what I would do without her. I was even more pale than before, and I was filled with great sorrow.

"It'll be alright, Jaren.", said Captain Tyson, and he firmly planted his hand on my shoulder, reassuring me.

Should I tell the truth about what happened and honor Eris' memory? Or should I keep quiet about the whole thing and forget it even happened?

I didn't matter ... Despite which one I decided to do, I would always have her death on my conscience. The only thing it would change is how heavy that conscience would be.'

The two choices were mine to make ...

I turned to the headquarters to seek the Commander and tell him what really happened and set the record straight. As I came up on the building and entered the doors, his secretary greeted me.

"Can I help you?", she asked.

"Is the Commander available?"

"He's currently in a briefin--"

Just before she finished, the Commander walked in. He noticed me, and placed his hand on my shoulder.

"Hello there, Private. Is there something you wanted to talk about?", he asked, looking into my sleep-deprived eyes.

I nodded, and he showed me the way to his office.

As we entered, he closed the door, and took a seat behind his desk.

"So, what are we here for?", he asked, as he gestured towards the shair in front of the desk for me to be seated.

"About Eris' death, sir."

"What about it, Private?"

I was once again shaking, and I couldn't even think straight ...

"It's my fault she died, sir ..."

"What? You must be mistaken, Private, or hadn't heard me in the briefing--", but before he could finish, I interrupted him.

"No, sir. She lied to protect me."

"What do you mean, Private?"

I told him the whole story -- From the time she had first asked me about the discs before the briefing to her leaving for the medical facility. The Commander listened intently to every word.

"Hmm ... I see. Tell me, Private ... How useful is a Medic on the field without healing discs?", he asked.

"Not very, sir.", I replied.

"Then, surely, her superior officer would've given her the same order you did. Do you think it would've happened any other way even if he had?", he continued.

"No, sir. I suppose not."

"Well, then, Private ... You were brave to come here and tell me the truth. However, telling the truth won't always save you. Though I admire your bravery, and though I don't think that punishment is fitting, I will be forced to place you on suspension for two months.", said the Commander, as he filled out a slip.

"I understand, sir.", I said, as he handed me the slip to give to my officer.

I left to return to the barracks and try for some sleep before Eris' burial ceremony.

As I came to the barracks, I handed the slip to my officer, Captain Tyson, and he glanced down to read the slip. His face was flushed with bewilderment, and he could do nothing but shake his head and eye me in a manner of disgust.

"Can we just keep it between us for now, please, sir?", I requested.

"I never had plans otherwise.", responded Tyson.

I continued down the halls, and came to my bunk, where I took off my Medic's uniform and hung it back on it's rack, and placed it on the wall ... Something to look at for the next two months until my suspension was over.

I laid in my bed ... Wondering what I would do during the next two months, and what suprises they would bring.

I finally fell to sleep ... Finally ... Rest ...

That was over 8 months ago.

Now, we're on "Foreas", and I now know the lobster-men to be known as the "Bane" -- A fitting name. Not that I had much of a life on Earth, but they took it away from me ... Everything ...

I try not to think about what happened to those left on Earth, as it only slows me down from my day-to-day activites, but when the thought does cross my mind, I just feel ... Well, you can only imagine.

I've always regarded life as as very precious gift, which is what prompted me to become a medical technician in the first place. The senseless slaughter and loss of so many lives just overwhelmed me so much ...

Now, I've pledged myself to the AFS in order to save lives on the battlefield and I'm slowly learning how to take the lives of the Bane, as well, through their combat training.

A new life ... A clean slate ... Tabula Rasa ...

• 2 months later...