AI "cheating" (not in-game)

Yva Xorna

I love robot/computer/AI news so here is a recent article I found that I think is of interest. Computers & the like aren't really smart or dumb-they just are [with the exception of Windows 10 which just sucks but anyway]. So apparently this particular AI was supposed to be taking satellite imagery and making Google maps out of it. It did that, but it cut a few corners and wrote the data into a form our simple eyes can't read. I actually laughed so hard when I read this. I use Google maps all the time. Not 100% on-board with their politics but I absolutely respect the work they have done and they certainly make my life more enjoyable.

Yva's First rule of coding: AI will do EXACTLY what you tell it to do.
Yva's 2nd rule of coding: if it's not working, you're doing it wrong.

There are mechanical failures /electrical interference/ my-desk-is-a-portal-to-the-Bermuda-triangle situations that cancel out those 2 rules but AI "thought" is basically just coded logic and order of operations.

• Haha 1

• Executive
On 1/3/2019 at 2:48 PM, Yva Xorna said:

I love robot/computer/AI news so here is a recent article I found that I think is of interest. Computers & the like aren't really smart or dumb-they just are [with the exception of Windows 10 which just sucks but anyway]. So apparently this particular AI was supposed to be taking satellite imagery and making Google maps out of it. It did that, but it cut a few corners and wrote the data into a form our simple eyes can't read. I actually laughed so hard when I read this. I use Google maps all the time. Not 100% on-board with their politics but I absolutely respect the work they have done and they certainly make my life more enjoyable.

Yva's First rule of coding: AI will do EXACTLY what you tell it to do.
Yva's 2nd rule of coding: if it's not working, you're doing it wrong.

There are mechanical failures /electrical interference/ my-desk-is-a-portal-to-the-Bermuda-triangle situations that cancel out those 2 rules but AI "thought" is basically just coded logic and order of operations.

Lol! ? Bad AI, BAD!

@N0cturnal88 I literally spent 2+ months without a Start Menu after an upgrade for Windows10 . Ok to be fair, last year I didn't encounter any real problems with it but the constant interruptions for updates is annoying and the home-network options are insufficient.  It certainly is a step above Windows 8  which was mostly BSOD for me (different computer than this current one).