Extreme budget machine

Zhiv

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($191.89 @ OutletPC)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.88 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Jet)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($94.88 @ OutletPC)

Storage: Seagate 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive ($94.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB GTR Video Card ($279.99 @ Amazon)

Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($62.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Amazon)

Total: $969.60

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-01 19:04 EST-0500

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/zhivotnoya/saved/dwVRsY

This build is way scaled back so that I might be able to piece it together better. It's not extreme budget, but should work. Also I can upgrade it further in the future with an i7-6700K, nvidia 1080/titan, and even add water-cooling in the future.

There are many reasons I need to do this, but the most is budget.

Please tell me what you think. I could have gone cheaper on the mobo, but I felt a better quality now is better rather than doing it cheaply. MSI has a rock-solid community and support system in place.

Is this in addition to or replacing the other specs you posted? it sounds fine for coding.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($191.89 @ OutletPC)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.88 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Jet)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($94.88 @ OutletPC)

Storage: Seagate 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive ($94.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB GTR Video Card ($279.99 @ Amazon)

Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($62.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Amazon)

Total: $969.60

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-01 19:04 EST-0500

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/zhivotnoya/saved/dwVRsY

This build is way scaled back so that I might be able to piece it together better. It's not extreme budget, but should work. Also I can upgrade it further in the future with an i7-6700K, nvidia 1080/titan, and even add water-cooling in the future.

There are many reasons I need to do this, but the most is budget.

Please tell me what you think. I could have gone cheaper on the mobo, but I felt a better quality now is better rather than doing it cheaply. MSI has a rock-solid community and support system in place.

This would be for gaming. Coding can take place on my portable potato. But my current gaming rig (A SancT-770 that I bought from Astrus 10 years ago) is well--ancient tech that I can't even upgrade now without a Ouija board and a witch doctor. If I have to replace the mobo-cpu-graphics card anyway, might as well build a new PC. :D

Just for reference, the RX480 is the latest 14nm GPU from AMD. It rivals the GeForce 1060, at half the cost. I don't see AMD coming out with anything better than that for at least 6 more months. But I currently have a GTX 750 Ti (nVidia) in my computer. It's a PCIe 3.0 card on a PCIe 2.0 mobo...so it's bottlenecked by the current CPU/Mobo. If I put it on a newer Mobo...I should be able to at least play SC on it at low settings and get 20fps...better than the 7 I get with my current setup.

oh nice! I have never had one last that long like 10 years. Usually the power supply catches on fire when I have had them for a few years.

Honestly I have to say get the 1080 card. I have a 1060 and its not good enough. But that might depend on whatever game you decide to play.

This would be for gaming. Coding can take place on my portable potato. But my current gaming rig (A SancT-770 that I bought from Astrus 10 years ago) is well--ancient tech that I can't even upgrade now without a Ouija board and a witch doctor. If I have to replace the mobo-cpu-graphics card anyway, might as well build a new PC. :D

Just for reference, the RX480 is the latest 14nm GPU from AMD. It rivals the GeForce 1060, at half the cost. I don't see AMD coming out with anything better than that for at least 6 more months. But I currently have a GTX 750 Ti (nVidia) in my computer. It's a PCIe 3.0 card on a PCIe 2.0 mobo...so it's bottlenecked by the current CPU/Mobo. If I put it on a newer Mobo...I should be able to at least play SC on it at low settings and get 20fps...better than the 7 I get with my current setup.

• 2 weeks later...

The RX480 is an AMD card, but that model should rival the 1060 at half the price. We'll see. Right now focused on making money to pay bills. :P

Bills are important. Frankly I wish more stores had after-Christmas sales so that when I'm done with buying Christmas gifts then I can buy the stuff I want.

• 1 month later...

Well, I went ahead and bought some parts for an upgrade. I'll keep the current case, hard drive, PSU, and video card I have (GeForce 750 GTX Ti).

I'm adding Intel Core i5-6500, 16GB G.Skill Ripjaw V DDR4-3000 RAM, and an Asrock Z170-Pro4S Mobo. All in all, a $425 upgrade. Here's the PC Part Picker list: https://pcpartpicker...ya/saved/8fjBmG (Price is higher than listed because apparently newegg changed the price on the memory from 99.89 to 104.99 today and the list hasn't updated yet.) Plus I added a tube of Arctic Silver compound for the cpu cooler. Gonna recycle my Hyper EVO 212 from the current machine. It should be fine for the stock/non-overclocked cpu. I'll post pics when I do the upgrade.

Edited by Zhiv